cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to tankless?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our Class C last weekend, and as expected it doesn't have hot water long enough for my wife to shower and wash her hair. We were planning to add a tankless propane heater to it (currently has 6 gallon standard one now) but I have been reading about problems with them. Some people say they don't provide consistent hot water, and to me that defeats the purpose! Has anyone converted to one comment?
65 REPLIES 65

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
We usually camp in "state park" type sites, only water and electric, so long showers would mean frequent tank dumping. So we almost always use the campground showers.

That said,

We rarely hear complaints about hot water shortages with even six-gallon heaters

We hear more complaints about tankless with inconsistent temperatures unless water is run really hard

Many tank heaters (Suburban SWxxDE series) can heat with AC power and LPG at the same time and that solves the problem for those few who have it
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Guess it's personal experience. RVing for 20 +years, never had a complaint from the wife about running out of hot water. All my RVs had (have) 6 gallon tanks. Some (older ones) gas only, newer ones gas/electric.

We just made sure there was around 10-15 minits between her shower and mine. And...take whatever as fast as possible. Now, at home, she does take (seemingly) forever, but realizes the big difference between the house and RV hot water supply/system.

FWIW

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the tips here, I had received one that was really useful for a related problem... There's a bypass switch that needs to be off (perpendicular to the hose) and is typically located next to the water heater. It's used when flushing the system, but if you leave it open/ on then your hot water "runs out" really fast because it dilutes with the cold water going through the bypass.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is only propane, not electric and propane. I was planning on replacing with a tankless propane system as we won't always have hookups. Water conservation isn't a concern.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, my $0.02, I don't have one in my motorhome, but I did install one in our sticks & bricks. Whatever it saves in gas/electricity, it uses in water while you're waiting for the hot water to get hot enough and travel through the pipes. If you're always connected to full hookups and water conservation isn't an issue, I guess they're fine. If you're boondocking a lot and water is at a premium, I think you're better off with a tank-based system.

Just out of curiosity, does your water heater heat with gas AND electric simultaneously? If so, do you have both on when she's using them? If so, and she still doesn't have enough hot water, I would think it's time to re-evaluate her procedure. Tactfully, of course! 🙂

We have a 10 gallon hot water tank in our rig, but with gas & electric running, we have never run out of hot water during successive showers. It does require that you shut down the water flow while soaping up. If your shower head doesn't have a shut-off installed inline, that would be my first suggestion.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Dragonfly
Explorer
Explorer
Would this be in addition to the regular tank water heater? I wouldn't want to give up the propane option when unplugged. We had tankless in the house. It was quirky sometimes. Sometimes it would just suddenly stop. However, it may have been because it was aging. When it died we replaced it with a regular tank, mostly because of the huge replacement cost.

I don't know how long you have been RVing. Do you have a shower wand that you can turn the water on and off to save water and make the hot water last. With a hook up you have unlimited water which is great but you still must conserve the hot stuff with the small tanks water heaters have.

One of the great pleasures is coming home or getting to a hotel and taking a LONG LEISURELY HOT shower.
DRAGONFLY - 2011, Provan Tiger CX, on a F350, 4WD, regular cab chassis