Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converting an extended E350 Cargo van

Jahf
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

I'm new here so if this needs to be in a separate subforum please move it as needed ๐Ÿ™‚

I've got a 2006 diesel E350 extended body with a Quigley 4x4. Currently it just has some DIY shelving in it and we flop on love sacks (giant foam loaded bags like adult bean bags).

Is there any chance there are existing bus models or whatnot that I could have combined with my engine/chassis and upgrade the body to a bus? Or something similar.

Or perhaps a company that does van->bus conversions for a price that isn't too much.

Looking at converting this to our road camper instead of towing the trailer we have now. Just fits our style better.

I'm wondering about the possibility of expanding the space a bit. I realize there is going to be cost to it but I want to have this for a long time. Due to the Quigley + lift kit on it it is already pretty tall.

Being a bigger guy who often has 1-2 guests and a couple of dogs in the van, just an extra 12-18" width would be flat out amazing. I might go for a pop-up bed area but I'm also disabled (spinal surgeries, other problems). So having a fulltime lay-down area while riding would be VERY welcome.

I'm not dead set on this. I can definitely make it work with "just" a pop-top. Just want to know if I have options before going forward.

Budget is relatively low. We're actually selling the tow trailer to pay for the van upgrades and will probably only have $15K, maybe $20K, to work with.

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted this Sofa/Bed in my Chevy van and found it to be quite comfortable. A little expensive, but having a decent sofa and bed was worth it.
Currently Between RVs

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Colorado camper vans is a great poptop builder. Extending width has never been done except in the case of some awkward slide outs. Class C motorhomes are done on cutaway chassis not full vans. Sportsmobile has built a van using a fiberglass shell on a cutaway chassis but only because ford econoline vans are going the way of the Dodo. The cutaway chassis are going to be around for a while because of class c demand. Sportsmobile did not take the opportunity to make the new shell wider

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

You have a really interesting 4X4 van to start with. Your plan to add a high top roof is doable, and will expand the room inside. I know someone towing a 34' Airstream with a then new 1979 E-350 that was not a extended van(for shorter rear axle to tow hitch length) and a then powerful 460" engine in it. This was before the 6.9L was even considered in the vans. And the 460" was much higher power than the non-turbo 6.9L of that day.

First they installed a pop up roof, then replaced that with a fixed 24" tall fiberglass roof. Yes they can install them at any time you like. It might be expensive though.

First of all, I would consider installing a Napa 4070 water coolant filter on the engine. It goes into the heater hose line, with a kit #FIL 4019. I put mine behind the bumper, and can put a bucket under it when I change the filter each year. This will keep minerals out of the radiator, oil cooler, and EGR cooler. Keeping them clean will prolong the engine life.

I installed a digital temperature gauge on my transmission. I installed the sensor on the pressure tap plug on the side of the transmission, and it gives a good indication of how hot it is running. The 6L diesel has plenty of power, and could overheat and thrash a transmission if you do not slow down on the mountain grades when the transmission is overheating. .

In my GMC 3500 class C, the transmission ran at around 235F on level ground on a 95F day. On the grades it was over 275F, so I had to slow down. I installed a huge transmission cooler once at home, and that solved that problem.

Back to the van. Some sort of cargo compartment is usually built, so that the bed can be made on top, and stuff stored below. By making the corners out of a wood like Poplar, or oak, it is very strong, and yet small and light. You could use 1X2" and it is strong enough. Cover with 1/2" plywood, and you can put something like sleeping bags or your bean bags on top of that to sleep.

You should install LED lights. You can search for LED light and find several posts on that subject.

You should install a extra "house" battery and a relay that is only energized while the engine is on, or perhaps the "Radio circuit" is on. It can be a 30 amp fog lamp relay, and some #10 wire from the engine battery to the second battery, with the relay and some 40 amp automatic reset circuit breakers in between.

For a battery. Most Ford class C's use the drivers side battery comparment and can use a regular lead acid battery. Yet your diesel has two starting batteries, so that compartment is already full. You should consider a AGM battery that will not give off any gas vapors, and thus can be mounted inside the RV safely. A lead acid battery might require over $100 to make it safe, with proper venting outside.

You might want to consider a solar panel on the roof. They are really cheap these days, and by installing a 200 watt solar panel, you will not need to 'store' over 100 amp hours of power, because you can generate 35 - 50 amp hours daily, thus not need to store nearly as much for use over 3 days.

SunElec.com

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
sportsmobileforum.com

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go over to cheaprvliving.com for inspiration on how to get the most out of your space, inexpensively.

I think you would be pretty comfortable with a raised top of some type, either a pop top or hard shell. Add a sofa bed that could convert to a full at night, positioned lengthwise. You would have room right behind the seats for a cooking area/bathroom facility, then the bed at the back end.

There are tons of creative ideas for storage under the bed, adding electrical, etc. on the cheaprvliving site, and many more.

You could work out the plans yourself and possibly get a good finish carpenter to help you with the construction, if you are not able or skilled to do it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board