cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dampness

TCBaxter
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed some dampness and surface mold on the interior and the basement areas of the motor home. I cleaned the interior completely with a bleach solution. I keep one of the exhaust fans running continuously so it doesn't make sense to me. The basement is another story, what can I do to keep the dampness down and the musty odor? I have four separate compartments and the all have an odor and so do the contents (chairs, bags, mat, etc.)
5 REPLIES 5

bobman
Explorer
Explorer
damp rid is the same as the "salt" used for driveways (calcium chloride) so its a lot cheaper per pound to purchase as "Ice melt"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that the hanging bags of DampRid seem to work better than the tubs. You have to figure out how to hang them, but they seem to collect more water quicker (they also cost more in the long run). Just from very casual observation!

Bugman114
Explorer
Explorer
I also use damp rid. They sell it at homedepot. It comes in a big tub, and lasts for a few months, and only costs $5. I also have a dehumidifier, and have to empty the bucket every couple of weeks. All my mold and mildew issues have completely vanished since using them
1985 Pace Arrow by Fleetwood 28'

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
From googling:

"Eyebrows raise in disbelief every time I say the phrase "bleach doesn't kill mold." Some look at me as if I'm speaking another language and they are right. I am speaking the TRUTH. Bleach (active ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite) is very effective in removing the discoloration but may leave the microflora that will enable the mold to return in exactly the same spot when conditions are right."

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Damp Rid This is what we use. Works pretty good and helps eliminate that odor.