cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dash air conditioning

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
The dash air on our Winnebago, it's a Ford just stopped working. Is there anything I could check before taking it to a Ford dealer? Was hoping it might be something simple and I wouldn't have to take it to a dealer.
Thanks
Steve& Linda Young
Winnebago 2012 Adventurer 35P
8 REPLIES 8

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
On Ford's there is also a relay to power up the compressor, it is the same size relay for the fuel pumps and fan motor. One of my neighbors Winnebago on F53 chassis had the same issue and I loaned him my spare relay that I keep in my truck and it got his compressor back going.
Check your chassis manual, the box that the relays are in will be accessible on the driver's side either under the hood or under the dash.
The replacement relays can be bought from Ford or from any auto parts store and are less than 10 bucks each. These relays are a black plastic cube about one square inch in size and have 4 or 5 blade pins that engage the fuse panel.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
Hot air means the heat control is in warm. Just room temp air probably means the compressor is not coming on. Turn the fan to low and turn the AC on and off. You should hear a clicking noise from the motor when the clutch engages. If you don't hear that it is either low on freon or a pressure switch is malfunctioning.
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

TugCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Is it still under warranty? I would highly advise against adding R134 yourself if its under warranty. If its a 2012 and has lost refridgerant, you have a bigger problem and is should be addressed by Ford.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
F53 V10
2007 Chaparral 20SSi
Camping wife and 2 boys 11 and 6

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Feel the freon suction line. If it is not cold and condensing water in the air, you might be low on freon. This is assuming that your compressor is in service and etc.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your blowing hot air, there is a chance that your Evans (heater)control valve has stuck in the heat position.

If the valve is stuck then it is possible to carefully clamp the hot water hose to stop the hot water from overcoming the air conditioner...

Loss of refrigerant is also a possibility as has already been pointed out.If you determine your valve is not the problem and want to attempt the recharge then make sure you get a kit with a gauge..follow instructions...

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

slyone
Explorer
Explorer
yes air blows out just warm air
Steve& Linda Young
Winnebago 2012 Adventurer 35P

GrampaDennis
Explorer
Explorer
Does it blow air, but just isn't cold? If that's the case, your refrigerant may have leaked down. You can get a DIY recharge kit at wal-Mart or an auto parts store. However, if you have much of a leak, it will most likely leak down again. if that's the case, go to a shop that specializes in automotive air conditionaing.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get your manual out, check fuses and relays.