cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diesel Puser Brakes

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
We traded in our gasser for a larger diesel pusher. Hubby wanted one... He says that when he steps on the brakes that he really has to push hard to slow it down. Is this "normal" for a diesel pusher or is this a problem? He also says that because of this he doesn't think I should try to drive it. Thank for the help.
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport
18 REPLIES 18

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
they might be out of adjustment

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the specs and it's a Freightliner chassis with air brakes. I'll pass the info on to him. Thank you so much.
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
Learn to use your compression brake on the tranny to assist. It helps improve braking power.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Air brakes (assume that is what yours has-- please confirm) DO feel quite a lot different than hydraulic brakes. Not better or worse, just different. And, yes they will take more effort than the vacuum boosted hydraulic brakes in your car.

They are also used differently than hydraulic brakes. For example you do NOT pump them.

You really should both learn how air brakes work and about their "care and feeding". Be safe out there.

I do not know about Arizona, but in many states, if the GVWR is over 26,000 pounds they require a special drivers license. And the written test will have questions about air brakes.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/