cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Direct T V

captron33
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a winegard traveler satelite dish. It will be mounted on the motorhome roof. I want to get an idea of what others who have this type dish as to what type receiver they use. I have been told to use the hr24 or also the genie that i use at home.
What is every one else using???
21 REPLIES 21

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I have a DTV traveler and I just take out my in house Genie receiver and hook it up and it finds the sat in about 5-10 minutes. Works great.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
supercub wrote:
sdianel wrote:
you can't get local channels if you are more than 250 miles from home address, unless you have a separate RV package and purchase local channels. DirecTV doesn't like to change the service address. Depends on who you get on the phone.
Are there trees or buildings in the way of the dish?

I change my service address frequently, so I'm able to get the local stations. I've NEVER had a problem, in fact quite the opposite, they are always very pleased to do it. Usually takes about 5 minutes by the time you call the 800 number and push a few digits on the phone to talk to a live person. It hasn't been a problem at all.

Exactly my experience. You need to know the address including county and may need to reboot receiver but they are helpful.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
you can't get local channels if you are more than 250 miles from home address, unless you have a separate RV package and purchase local channels. DirecTV doesn't like to change the service address. Depends on who you get on the phone.
Are there trees or buildings in the way of the dish?

I change my service address frequently, so I'm able to get the local stations. I've NEVER had a problem, in fact quite the opposite, they are always very pleased to do it. Usually takes about 5 minutes by the time you call the 800 number and push a few digits on the phone to talk to a live person. It hasn't been a problem at all.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting William B as their installation directions say it needs to be 8 feet I think it was from the Genie. I did not understand why but in our home I have it in a different room from where the Genie is located. Glad to know it works when close to the Genie. It requires a separate coax but most have that. The wireless opens so many options as I mentioned. In a previous coach I didn't like the front TV so installed new coax connector under the dinette and would put a 32 inch TV on dinette table. With wireless you can set it on counter, table or anywhere it works for you at the time and the LED Tv's are so light that moving them around is very easy. The outside TV is fixed so again limiting.

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
William B wrote:
We use the Genie up front and the wireless mini in the bedroom.

Where did you put the wireless bridge?

We have it in the front cabinet beside the Genie.
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
captron33 wrote:
Yes i have been hijacked!! I sure appreciate the post, i will definatly try the genie.....if i also try to use a mini in the back bedroom is it wireless??

If you have a wireless mini in your house you can use that in your RV but you have to bring along the Genie plus the wireless bridge. If you are not using a client (mini) then you would have to either have a 2nd coax where you want to locate the client or add a wireless bridge to your system.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
captron33 wrote:
Yes i have been hijacked!! I sure appreciate the post, i will definatly try the genie.....if i also try to use a mini in the back bedroom is it wireless??

Depends. You can use the wired by attaching the coax. You can use the wirelss mini if you attach the wireless bridge to the satellite by attaching a coax that has attachment to the sat, Usually it is sufficient to use the wired and not bother with the bridge but using the bridge does open up options for TV anywhere. A portable set on the picnic table is now an option or place bedroom TV wherever. In my 2016 I have a Matrix which means all receivers are in the front and I can access either receiver for any of the three TV's. Clearly a luxury but I have used the options but mostly one is dedicated to bedroom and one to lounge.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
William B wrote:

Where did you put the wireless bridge?

William_B
Explorer
Explorer
Full timing since 2004
2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DD Series 60
2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited

Our Blog

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed a new H25 from Solid Signal. Its very small and compact and can be mounted in any position (in and out of sight) and works well with our Traveler antenna.
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

captron33
Explorer
Explorer

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
My directv works great. I assume your newWinnegard is the SWM so take your genie. I too yse the genie with the wired mini. Before I used a basic HD DVR, actually two of them and it worked well. I have had no problem getting my service changed by directv. It is wonderful service. Enjoy.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Captron33,
Sorry that your thread has been hijacked! To get back to your question, there is no reason not to use a Genie if you have one but the HR24 will work as well. It's just a matter of whether you would like to have a DVR with 2 tuners or one with 5 tuners and a larger hard drive. They will both work just like they work at home. It is just as easy to move one as move the other. When using a Trav'ler (assuming it's an SK-SWM3) you don't even have to change any of the receiver settings.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mileage from your home really doesn't matter. All DirecTV local networks broadcasting utilize a cone of service called spot beams. It just depends on where your home is within the cone as to how far you can venture before you lose local networks.