cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do gassers offer anything like the DP engine brake

kgard1225
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, looking for a class A but will be in mountainous areas a lot and want to see if there is any type of extra braking available on the gassers. I searched the diesel vs gas posts but see no mention of this big plus on the diesels. Thanks, Ken
49 REPLIES 49

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Use the tow haul feature to control descent speed. It works well

x2 - in essence the Ford v-10 has an engine brake. I go down grades 8% or better with a toad in the tow/haul mode and never touch my brakes. sometimes it works too well and I have to tap the gas to speed up. Love that feature.
2013 ACE 29.2

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The external engine braking mechanisms used on diesel engines are there to compensate for the lack of compression braking that gas engines inherently have by design. The basic difference is that gas engines restrict the inlet air flow when you lift the throttle, while diesel engines restrict the fuel flow. That air flow restriction and resulting "compression braking" is what the external "Jake" type braking systems on diesels duplicate. To get the full compression braking effectiveness on a gasser, just drop it out of overdrive and downshift as needed for the conditions.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Use the tow haul feature to control descent speed. It works well
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
You won't have any problem on grades with a gasser rig. Go down the same speed you went up, let the engine do the work, when you do brake use it very firm to slow 10 to 15 mph then release. Before the tow/haul everyone just down shifted. Tow/haul just makes it more convenient.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allison calls it their grade brake and is available on the GM gas powered RV's built after 2005 with the Allison transmissions.
Ford transmissions also have a grade brake feature called the tow/haul mode that downshifts on descents to provide braking.
Gasser RV's have no problem in the mountains with either the climb or the descent.