cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolly wheel bearings leaking??

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed something last night on my dolly. We just returned from a trip from MD to FL and back last week and took the toad. Everything seemed fine, unpacked everything put away last weekend. While walking past my dolly last night I noticed the inside of the left wheel rim seemed to be splattered with grease. Also the outside of the hub appeared to be dusty as if it had grease and picked up dirt. The right side is clean as a whistle. I am slightly mechanical but I have never done anything with wheels, hubs or bearings so I am clueless here. Are my bearing seals leaking? What harm could/did this cause? What do I do to fix it? The dolly is only 2 years old and only been on a handful of trips. It's a Master tow, no brakes. Sorry for sounding uneducated on this one, but frankly I am.

Thanks
2013 ACE 29.2
7 REPLIES 7

jwbinmd1960
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen hubs heat up and cheap grease liquify and leak out. I would repack bearings with a good quality hi temp wheel bearing grease.

I don't have brakes on my dolly and I've never had any issues towing small vehicles.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Mine does not have brakes
Hopefully no one will notice you said that LOL. Are you sure they are grease filled and not oil filled. From this arm chair observation point, grease usually does not run. My rear hubs are oil filled. One started leaking, so I pulled it off in a Walmart parking lot and packed it with grease. That was a few thousand miles ago and it has never leaked since. Unless the hub is getting hot - possibly from being too tight, it would be a surprise to see grease run out. On my boat trailer, the grease is open the the air and doesn't run. Its possible to just be a bad seal, but it just really seams like there is more going on.
IRV2

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Daveinet wrote:
If one assumes hydraulic (surge) brakes, you may have a bad slave cylinder that is leaking. Or a variation on that theme, if the brake adjusters are not working, the brake cylinder will over extend and drop out, allowing it to leak. I would much more expect it to be brake related, than grease, as grease is not normally runny and usually stays in place.

Mine does not have brakes
2013 ACE 29.2

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
If one assumes hydraulic (surge) brakes, you may have a bad slave cylinder that is leaking. Or a variation on that theme, if the brake adjusters are not working, the brake cylinder will over extend and drop out, allowing it to leak. I would much more expect it to be brake related, than grease, as grease is not normally runny and usually stays in place.
IRV2

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
Just watched a how to video on repacking or replacing the bearings. Pretty cheap from Master tow for new ones at $18.00 so I might just order new and pack and replace...

No need to replace unless you have a problem such as pitting, rusting, came apart, etc. Clean them up and repack them and you should be fine. make sure you replace the wheel seal like has already been recommended. And make sure you torque them properly, an overly tightened bearing will fail very quickly.

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
topflite51 wrote:
Have them repacked and new seals by someone who knows how and maybe they will show you how to do it. It is easy to do, just a little greasy.:B

Just watched a how to video on repacking or replacing the bearings. Pretty cheap from Master tow for new ones at $18.00 so I might just order new and pack and replace. Never done it but seems pretty straight forward. Looks easier than replacing needle bearings on a U joint on my tractor's pto and I've done that before. Messy job, but pairs well with beer.
2013 ACE 29.2

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
Have them repacked and new seals by someone who knows how and maybe they will show you how to do it. It is easy to do, just a little greasy.:B
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable 😛
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s