cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers seat head and neck suooprt

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
After driving long hours in my 94 Winnabago Brave my neck and back are sore because the seat has no real head/neck support, top of the seat back is below the drivers neck. Anyone experienced this with older model RVs and any suggestions for it? Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I may be wrong, but I can't think of any driver's seat that would support your neck while driving, except in an accident. Anything pushing directly on your head or neck would restrict movement and laying your head back would be unsafe.

I'm guessing your real issue is that you're not very relaxed while driving. If your coach takes both hands and a lot of steering input to keep it going straight, your issue is with the coach and driving while tense, not the seat.

Seat comfort is more about lumbar and mid back support. My coach can be easily driven with just my thumb and index finger, making for a relaxing drive. Since I have a Smart Wheel, I can thumb my speed up and down and rarely have my foot on the throttle. But....if you add in "K" rail barricades for 20 miles of construction zone work or curvy mountain roads, I think we all tense up and can feel it at the end of the day.

Try resetting your armrests. If your arms are being jacked up in the air as you rest your forearm on the armrest, you're jacking both shoulders up and will surely feel it later. Adjust them so your shoulders are falling down as your arms rest on the arm rest. You can also "lock" your forearm against the arm rest, using one hand to do most of the steering by using the leverage of your forearm to move the wheel, rather than have your arms in the air, holding on with a death grip.

Lastly, try some exercises while driving. Stretch and rotate one arm/shoulder every so often to keep it loose.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
One of two things, do not drive so long at one time. Get new seat check out shop4seats.com they have a complete line of seats.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion is to invest in new more modern high quality seats (not Steelflex)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do if the seat is not fully upright and is reclined. I tend to push my neck forward to compensate. Try straightening the back , or if already straight, move the seat a little forward to the wheel.