cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dynamax REV info

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at trading my 5th wheel for a class C or B+ and we like the Dynamax REV 24CB as it is a convenient size. Does anybody have any experience with one? What kind of mileage does the Ram get? How does the front wheel drive handle? Any info you can give me would be appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

bclemens
Explorer
Explorer
mrshowtime3 wrote:

Yeesh Im half expecting you to say the REV is better then a Leisure Travel Van next. Im sorry you bought the REV. But if it works for you great. Personally id never buy one. The construction of the box is just flat out poor. Interior finishes and construction are right there with the rest of the bottom dwelling RVs on the market. And of course the ridiculousness of the single rear wheel on a RV that size. Id hate to ever see someone blow out a rear tire on one of those. Well, thats assuming they can even put two people in the RV without going over the weight limit.

Nope, not at all. Nor am I trying to compare a Diesel Range Rover to a Gas Honda Rav 4. Different strokes...Sorry, don't own a REV, but the construction is aluminum framed, block foam insulated just like everyone else.

The ridiculous single, rear wheel is also found on the Winnebago Trend, Travato, Pleasureway Lexor TS, Roadtrek Simplicity, and not long ago, it was the #1 selling chassis in Europe under the Fiat Ducato badge. Again, not for everyone, but seems to fill a niche and is the only front wheel drive Class C out there. More of a conversion van than a full blown RV.

GVWR is 9,300 lbs on that chassis. Most, if not all of those are under 8,150 curb weight. So over 1000 lbs of CCC, which is more than what most Sprinters offer at 11,030 GWVR.

mrshowtime3
Explorer
Explorer
bclemens wrote:
Not to rain on the parade, but you can look at a quarterly earnings statement from Winnebago and see its not as rosey as you would like to think. Lower profits were as a result of increased warranty claims and sales of lower margin products. In an attempt to get cheaper and increase production, the quality suffered.

I assure you I've been to more RV shows than any person should. But again, the same argument could be made for cars. Buy an older, used, top of the line model or would you rather have something new that suits your needs with a more modern styling?

Did you own a REV, have personal experience with one? I'd be curious to know specifically what items are junk? And not just to hit a price point. I know on the Winnebago Trend, they use styrofoam filled, high pressure laminate countertops (to save weight of course), plastic sinks, multi-piece shower surrounds...very similar to other mfg's at that same price point.

As for cutting corners to replace rubber with fiberglass, not sure why anyone would have to...the cost difference between the two is about $125. it really comes down to installation and what you're used to. If a plant installs rubber roof...fiberglass throws them a curve (and vice versa).

Yeesh Im half expecting you to say the REV is better then a Leisure Travel Van next. Im sorry you bought the REV. But if it works for you great. Personally id never buy one. The construction of the box is just flat out poor. Interior finishes and construction are right there with the rest of the bottom dwelling RVs on the market. And of course the ridiculousness of the single rear wheel on a RV that size. Id hate to ever see someone blow out a rear tire on one of those. Well, thats assuming they can even put two people in the RV without going over the weight limit.

bclemens
Explorer
Explorer
Not to rain on the parade, but you can look at a quarterly earnings statement from Winnebago and see its not as rosey as you would like to think. Lower profits were as a result of increased warranty claims and sales of lower margin products. In an attempt to get cheaper and increase production, the quality suffered.

I assure you I've been to more RV shows than any person should. But again, the same argument could be made for cars. Buy an older, used, top of the line model or would you rather have something new that suits your needs with a more modern styling?

Did you own a REV, have personal experience with one? I'd be curious to know specifically what items are junk? And not just to hit a price point. I know on the Winnebago Trend, they use styrofoam filled, high pressure laminate countertops (to save weight of course), plastic sinks, multi-piece shower surrounds...very similar to other mfg's at that same price point.

As for cutting corners to replace rubber with fiberglass, not sure why anyone would have to...the cost difference between the two is about $125. it really comes down to installation and what you're used to. If a plant installs rubber roof...fiberglass throws them a curve (and vice versa).

mrshowtime3
Explorer
Explorer
bclemens wrote:
That's sort of like saying there should only be one car produced...a Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG. Wait until it is used to buy it if you can't afford it new.

2017 REV can be had for about $70,000. A 2015 Coachhouse is listed anywhere from $120,000 to $140,000.

Just different price points. Inexpensive, does not need to be junk.

Nope thats not what im saying. There are somewhere around 5-7 really quality RV builders out there. The vast majority of the rest are junk.

You can get around a 2003-2005 Coach House with fairly low miles for around 40k. And it will STILL be VASTLY better quality and VASTLY better equipped then a hunk of junk like the REV.

Inexpensive doesnt need to be junk. I always look for value. Cheaper priced products that are still good quality. In the RV world that is Winnebago. Cheaper then the competitors while keeping a pretty good standard of quality.

Outside of these handful of companies, this industry is filled with junk. Made from terrible materials and built to last a year.

So I can either buy a brand new RV that will almost certainly be a money pit problem for 70k. Or I can get a older top of the line RV for less. Very easy decision. I suggest you go to a RV show and compare these RVs. The REV is like the cheapest single wide trailer you can buy compared to high quality modular homes. Same industry, vastly different quality.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what corners they cut to be able to change the roof to fiberglass from rubber?
bumpy

bclemens
Explorer
Explorer
That's sort of like saying there should only be one car produced...a Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG. Wait until it is used to buy it if you can't afford it new.

2017 REV can be had for about $70,000. A 2015 Coachhouse is listed anywhere from $120,000 to $140,000.

Just different price points. Inexpensive, does not need to be junk.

mrshowtime3
Explorer
Explorer
The REV is a junk RV. You are much better served by getting something like a used Coach House RV with that money. It doesnt pay to buy these low end RVs. And the sad truth is that all but a few companies are making low end RVs.

bclemens
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly how it went down.

Forest River did buy Dynamax, but the REV was designed by a former Jayco employee who for some odd reason decided to do a rubber roof instead of the fiberglass that was on every other single Dynamax. Just coincidence. They are no longer there and the 2017 REV has a fiberglass roof.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
it has a rubber roof. I wouldn't buy it myself. I visited the Dynamax factory once when they were making top of the line units. I guess they had to make a lesser unit to survive?
bumpy

Dynamax didn't survive. They got bought by Forest River, thus the changes in direction to cover lower cost markets.

thanks, that makes sense.
bumpy

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
it has a rubber roof. I wouldn't buy it myself. I visited the Dynamax factory once when they were making top of the line units. I guess they had to make a lesser unit to survive?
bumpy

Dynamax didn't survive. They got bought by Forest River, thus the changes in direction to cover lower cost markets.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ProMaster
Explorer
Explorer
jpstarky wrote:
Dynamax REV - anybody have a problem with the hot/cold water mixing?
Our 2014 REV RB hot water system would not come on when any cold water was turned on so water was either hot or cold. This started after the hot water heater recall was completed.
-gs

I haven't had the hot water recall service done yet. The only problem I found with the water heater was that the little drain tube had gotten clogged which prevented proper heater operation. After I flushed out that tube the hot water heater has worked properly. Maybe do a quick check on the drain tube before bringing it back to the service facility.
Bob and Chris
2015 Dynamax Rev 24TB

jpstarky
Explorer
Explorer
Dynamax REV - anybody have a problem with the hot/cold water mixing?
Our 2014 REV RB hot water system would not come on when any cold water was turned on so water was either hot or cold. This started after the hot water heater recall was completed.
-gs

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Several REV discussions here on RV.net, and a similar one about RAM and Sprinter based offerings from Winnebago.
Dynamax REV Search Here
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB