cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Batteries - loss of charge

GwLorens
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Fleetwood Expedition that began having engine battery charge problems this past summer. I have the roof top solar trickle charger and am a full timer. The batteries have always kept a good charge with the solar charger until this past summer. I had the 2 batteries replaced in November thinking that they were in need, but the 2 new batteries are still discharging regardless of whether the battery switch is on or off. I'm using a portable charger once per week to restore a full charge to the batteries while on a volunteer assignment parked in one location for 5 months. I've never had to do this before. The charge indicator is on for the solar charger and I cannot find anything that is on to cause the batteries to drain. Any suggestions? Any help or advice is much appreciated. Larry
5 REPLIES 5

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is Winter, was the mirror heat switch left on?

mscamping
Explorer
Explorer
First is your coach suppose to charge both banks when you're on shore power?? What kind/how big is your inverter?? Most coaches do not charge both banks.. You'll need to install a charger between the banks that will take the charge to the engine batteries when you're on shore power.. It sounds like the solar panels aren't keeping up with the amount of discharge you have.. Mike Mathews..
2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon

OnaQuest
Explorer
Explorer
If you are constantly plugged into shore power, with house battery disconnect not activated, and your house batteries are staying charged, then your chassis battery should also be charging through your aux start/isolator relay.

If this is not happening then you have BCC problem. I could help with that.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
You gotta be careful of using a battery charger every week... unless it is a three stage charger and if it is then you just need to leave it on all the time. Not good to discharge and recharge often.

You need to find out if the batteries are being charged by the solar panels and you can do this easily with a volt (multi) meter. If they are not, then you need to back track the circuit and find out why. Could be just a bad connection or something could have failed.

BTW, a trickle charger will not charge up a fully discharged battery...not enough amperage.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

MrWizard
house battery disconnect' does Not disconnect engine batteries
install a manual disconnect on the engine batteries
the little light 'might' be on , but i'm guessing your solar trickle panel is bad
or the connection between it and the batteries is bad
make sure you didn't leave a 'wire' off the batteries when you put the new ones in
it happens an awful lot
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s