cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine battery not connected to anything.????

Seemore
Explorer
Explorer
My engine battery is charged and good. But, I get zero juice to anything from the ignition switch. The headlights don't come on either, which should work with out the ignition. When using the emergency switch ( the coach battery) everything works as expected and the engine starts . I have cleaned the terminals and connections at the battery.Where should I start looking for the problem? I have a 2000 Coachmen Mirada 300QB. It has the Ford V-10 engine.
12 REPLIES 12

Seemore
Explorer
Explorer
I'm happy to report that we're ready to roll. Thanks to y'all.

Seemore

Seemore
Explorer
Explorer
Will do. Thanks.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
NAPA should have the relay/solenoid in stock.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Make a continuity check between the ground post of the battery and the frame of the m/h.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Seemore
Explorer
Explorer
Both of those fuzes are good. My son stopped by and took a look. He gave the second solenoid a whack while I turned the ignition switch and everything came to life. When I tried to start it, everything died till he whacked it again. Looks like I need a new solenoid. The auto parts store didn't have anything like it so I'll be going to Ford in the morning. If no luck there, then it's off to Camping World.
I sure appreciate all the folks that tried to help me and I'll be back to let y'all know how this worked out. Since I'm a new RV'er, I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions. Thanks.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
On the first Relay from the battery there should be two large fuse type holders. Check them to insure they are good. They supply power to the main fuse block under the dash.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Seemore
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199: I have looked at all the fuzes I can find and they all are intact.

sch911: this rig only has a battery disconnect switch for the coach. It is turned off.

Enblethen: I'm not sure what a fuze link looks like. The cable from the + post of the chassis battery runs to a pair of selinoids, actually between them and connected to both. The other side of one is the from the coach battery and the other side of the other one, goes up to a connection I've never seen before, and then off into a maze of heavy wires like something you see in a pasta bowl. (I'm new to Motorhomes).

If I can post some pics that may help.?

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
tommy g wrote:
sch911 wrote:
IS the disconnect switch turned on? Mine has one for the coach and another for the chassis.
Ditto

Me 3.

I would HOPE that the fuses would still be IN the circuit when the bridge switch was utilized....so that a blown fuse could NOT be the problem.

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
IS the disconnect switch turned on? Mine has one for the coach and another for the chassis.
Ditto
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ford has fuse links/fuses adjacent to the chassis battery. Check them with test light. They should be located on the battery side of the starter relay.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start with fuses. There should be a main ignition/starter fuse. I can tell you where it is on my pickup (under the hood) but I don't know where they would put it on a motorhome.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4