cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine Oil leak Cat C9

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
OK folks, you just might be my last hope for finding this on our new to us Coach.
Here's the symptoms.....
Clean Engine can idle for an hour or more without seeing any leaks. Then with going down the road, it's running along the oil pan and even getting on the back of the rock guard and a little on the passenger side of the toad, as well. When you stop, it might drip a few drops, but that's about it. Consignment sale Dealer dropped the oil pan and installed a new gasket at no charge. Didn't help much if at all. Then a Cat service center where we're camped for the night, first decided in was the slobber tube and was about to extend it lower. Then changed their mind and now most sure it's at the front of the engine up high and with a plug with an 0 ring under a lot of pressure because of the HUEI pump and at the opposite end of the starter. This theory is for it running down a little ridge on the driver's side and then down over the front to the starter below. The rear main seal has been ruled out and fortunately for that.
Sooooooooooooooo, anyone experienced this and what might have been found, to be the real culprit?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
4 REPLIES 4

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Sorry, but not sure over the internet we can do a better job than a Caterpillar dealer (at least let's hope not).

At your next oil change, do "Calibrate the engine oil dipstick". It is not a Caterpillar part, and if inaccurate and you overfill the crankcase, it WILL come out. But usually from the crankcase breather hose.

Actually I'm still hoping and it wouldn't be the first time for that to happen, as we have some pretty good minds on here and especially after years of ownership. Even at that, some dealer might have found a difficult problem that can be passed on.
Just had an oil change and with what was put in, it should be a little shy of 34 qts actually and at least that's what the book says a rear sump takes with filter.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Preacher Man wrote:
Check where the oil dipstick goes into the engine block. There is a portion of that tube that is replaceable. Mine rusted at that point and needed to be repaired. I used some tubing, leak stopped. My dipstick is on the right side of engine/passenger side of the coach. Something worth looking into.

Mine is on the other and opposite where the oil is coming from.
We're going to work on that slobber tube as well and just in case.

Preacher_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Check where the oil dipstick goes into the engine block. There is a portion of that tube that is replaceable. Mine rusted at that point and needed to be repaired. I used some tubing, leak stopped. My dipstick is on the right side of engine/passenger side of the coach. Something worth looking into.
Mark Walter
J-Angel Productions
Web and Media Company
2004 Sportscoach LE 376 DS
Cat 3126E, Allison 3000

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but not sure over the internet we can do a better job than a Caterpillar dealer (at least let's hope not).

At your next oil change, do "Calibrate the engine oil dipstick". It is not a Caterpillar part, and if inaccurate and you overfill the crankcase, it WILL come out. But usually from the crankcase breather hose.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/