cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

entrance door hold open latch?

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to us 2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ and the door does not stay in the open position. Wind will blow it closed. I thought it was supposed to stay open till you pulled it or pulled the latch like the previous coach we owned. Any help? Thanks
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing
12 REPLIES 12

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With that type of "Latch" a big enough wind and it won't matter what you do.

I have the hard latch (Arm that goes in a slot) it usually works.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I used JB weld on top of the "detent button" to make it a tad taller. I had to sand it down a bit to get the right amount of resistance, then some white grease. Will see how long the JB weld lasts
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
Had that problem, called the door manufacturer and got a replacement scissor latch. Prompt shipment. Have not had problem since replacement.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Roger in VERMONT wrote:
Had the same issue. Got a new scissor latch after a few months the same problem. Had the RV dealer look at it the tech used two ball peen hammers. One on top and one on the bottom. while holding the larger on up against the bottom he hit the top very hard a couple of times. That fixed the problem. Now every few months I do the same. That keeps it tight.

Huh! A 2 hammer repair, my favorite repair tool ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Roger_in_VERMON
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issue. Got a new scissor latch after a few months the same problem. Had the RV dealer look at it the tech used two ball peen hammers. One on top and one on the bottom. while holding the larger on up against the bottom he hit the top very hard a couple of times. That fixed the problem. Now every few months I do the same. That keeps it tight.
๐Ÿ™‚ 2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I fixed mine by bending the detent up after the pivot with a large crescent wrench so it goes into the dimple with more force. That was 10 years ago on my 04 Dynasty.

Thank you, I'll check in to that solution first
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I fixed mine by bending the detent up after the pivot with a large crescent wrench so it goes into the dimple with more force. That was 10 years ago on my 04 Dynasty.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
BigSkyBob wrote:
After removing and repairing the scissor hinge on my 08 Camelot several times I went with a gas strut to hold the door open. After some experimentation I determined a 20 lb gas strut would hold the door in moderate side wind. It takes very little effort to pull the door closed so this has worked well for me for several years.

Thanks, maybe a better idea. Our last coach the door stayed open till you pulled the interior handle
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

BigSkyBob
Explorer
Explorer
After removing and repairing the scissor hinge on my 08 Camelot several times I went with a gas strut to hold the door open. After some experimentation I determined a 20 lb gas strut would hold the door in moderate side wind. It takes very little effort to pull the door closed so this has worked well for me for several years.
2008 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, 4 slides, 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Quadcab 4x4. Blue Ox, Garmin 760 LRM GPS, Doran Pressure pro on all 10, M&G Brake, 50 amp SurgeGuard, FMCA, Coachnet.

cableguy574
Explorer
Explorer
Mine front door works sometimes and sometimes not. So a easy fix is get a bungee cord and hock to door a front mirror bracket, works good and cheap fix. Door will stay open
2008 National Pacifica V36a
2014 Jeep Wrangler /Brake Buddy
JUST Me & My wife & dogs ๐Ÿ™‚
FMCA 387898
A member of NUTS

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Dalenoel, when I get it back to my shop next month I will remove the scissor bar at the top and see if I can tighten the pin that looks to be worn and lets that bar move off the detent.
Bill
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of us have problems with the scissor closer on the top of the door. Mine will open and then stay open and not allow a slight pull get is closed. Need to start it by hand and am too cheap to put new unit on top. There is an indent in the scissor unit that should hold it but often times does not.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi