Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Estes Park / Yellowstone / Grand Teton Trip

wvu_lsu2009
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

We are taking our first long trip in our new Class A in September to Estes Park, CO, Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. We have a couple places booked to stay already however wasted to reach out for advice on must sees and dos and most importantly any advice on what not to do. Leaving from northern Arkansas with bold printed "Novice RVers" stamped on our foreheads. 🙂

Thanks!
Claire Reed
15 REPLIES 15

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joined 8/5, Hello 8/7, and a week later do we have another one and gone? Claire, once you get out of the hospital, please answer this question, do you pull a car behind your Class A.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
> Be ready for short overnight freeze warnings anytime after labor day

Actually, be ready any time of the year when you get up into the mountains!
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to be int he area the 21st of Aug you better have reservations. That is the eclipse and everything is booked solid. I did not see one campground this past week that had any room around Yellowstone or the tetons.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Viewfinder
Explorer
Explorer
What a great trip to take. Be ready for short overnight freeze warnings anytime after labor day. Not to worry, just be aware....enjoy.

jim

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
> You can do this with Google Maps as well.

You can but it's trickier IMNSHO. You have to download ALL the maps you need ahead of time, and it's not straightforward like Maps.ME. Maybe you are better at this than I am (which wouldn't be hard) but I always have problems figuring out what to download and making sure I downloaded it successfully. With Maps.ME, you download one map and you have the whole state. I prefer Google where I have data coverage but Maps.ME where I don't.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
wvu_lsu2009 wrote:
Hello!

"Novice RVers" stamped on our foreheads. 🙂

Thanks!
Claire Reed

Claire - ?
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plan for no cell coverage oftener than you want. I was steered to a program called Maps.ME that is designed to work with no data coverage, you download the state maps ahead of time and it works off GPS.

You can do this with Google Maps as well. I have put my Garmin away and I am now looking at buying a small tablet to use with Google Maps while in the RV as it is much better than any stand-alone GPS.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
^x2

Gary

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
wvu_lsu2009 wrote:
Hello!

We are taking our first long trip in our new Class A in September to Estes Park, CO, Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park. We have a couple places booked to stay already however wasted to reach out for advice on must sees and dos and most importantly any advice on what not to do. Leaving from northern Arkansas with bold printed "Novice RVers" stamped on our foreheads. 🙂

Thanks!
Claire Reed

First off - Welcome -

Second - we need a little more info -

Toad?

How Long?

What do you Like/Enjoy? -Hikes - Photo - Water - Mountains - State Parks - Looking just to do National Parks - all of the aforementioned?

Really hard to give solid advice without more info.

But if I were to begin planning a trip like this, I'd think about heading into Southern Colorado and sliding up through the Middle of the Mountains.

Possible stops;

Great Sand Dunes

Brown Canyon National Monument - New

Salida/Buena Vista/Collegiates/Twin Lakes/Rt 82/Independence Pass

Leadville/Quincy's/Turquoise Lake/Camp Hale

Then either back side of RMNP - Grand Lake - or through the Tunnel on I-70 to Peak to Peak/Golden Gate Canyon State Park/Nederland/Lyons/Estes Park

Then to Alpine - through Jackson into the Tetons - and on to Yellowstone - then Being sure to Drive the Beartooth in the Toad (If you have one)

Then out through Cody - Lot's to see and do there - on down to Thermopolis and Wind River Canyon and Shoshoni - and on Home

Well now you have some food for thought - give us a little more info and we can be more specific.

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to Yellowstone and area at least a dozen times over the years and prefer to stay out of the park at either the west entrance or the south entrance and then travel in the park w/ our Toad. Gives us more flexibility.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
The road Bill Satellite describes is the Wind River Canyon Scenic Byway and I completely agree on how gorgeous it is. I always try to send visitors to the state that way. The tunnels look scary but it is a U.S. highway and sized for semis so you won't have any problem in your Class A. (The first timee I drove my then-Class-C through it, I called the state highway patrol first to make sure the tunnels had enough clearance!)

Another gorgeous spot more-or-less on your route is the Snowy Range Scenic Byway. Twisty turny and some fairly steep bits but I've been over it in both a Class C and an underpowered Class A. There was still snow up there when we went over on July 4. The "hobo" hot pool/springs in Saratoga are free and VERY hot - I can't do the pool.

The road from I-25 to Estes is another U.S. highway and I strongly urge you to plan to drive it in full daylight. First, because it is gorgeous and second, because there are some VERY twisty turny bits and you want all the visibility you can get. Daylight gets blocked by the mountains earlier than you would expect.

I've done Yellowstone in a MH with no toad. There was one road I chickened out of driving in the class C but there is so much to see that it's not like we suffered from missing that one area. Old Faithful is completely accessible to motorhomes - tons of parking.

If you stop in Jackson, expect to spend 3x the amount of money for anything. Too many rich people there.

Plan for no cell coverage oftener than you want. I was steered to a program called Maps.ME that is designed to work with no data coverage, you download the state maps ahead of time and it works off GPS. Works pretty well in my car, I haven't tried it in a MH yet but planning to have it handy for the eclipse (to hunt for alternate routes if the traffic is as bad as expected).

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
You should find this article to be helpful. It describes the various routes in and out of the park and recommends some places to stay.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Another tourist trap that many miss is Virginia City,MT. Take the narrow gauge RR from Virginia City to Nevada City,MT. Nevada City has one of the largest collections of self player instruments in the country. Touring the old time town is a hoot. Allow 1 day. Approx. 87 miles NW of West Yellowstone,MT.
When we travel to Yellowstone, we stay at Henry's Lake State Park, ID. Good rates. Great view. 15 miles west of the west gate.

A big X2 on what Bill.Satellite suggests. Been there done that.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many folks miss Cody, WY while in, or on their way to, Yellowstone. The museum there is not to be missed and needs at least 1 full day but 2 days is better. Thermopolis is also a fun stop but the drive leading up to Thermopois on 26/120 is one of the greatest drives I have ever taken. We had no idea there was such spectacular scenery and we were completely blown away. We stayed at an RV park with there own hot spring and really enjoyed our overnight stay. So, 25 N to Casper, 26 to Thermopolis, and 120 up to Cody. It's then 14W into Yellowstone's West Entrance.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?