cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expandable waterhose?

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using those expandable water hoses for your fresh water hose? Just saw an add for the Top Brass Hose. It looks like it would be good for storage...
23 year Active Duty Air Force
Waiting to retire (when I'm done having fun)
Empty Nesting it starting Summer 2016
2003 Damon Escaper 40' 3 slides (my first Class A)
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)
28 REPLIES 28

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Muse be good if Richard Karn is endorsing it! 😛

I have one of those hoses. Got it on a closeout for $12 at Menards a couple of years ago. When I hook up I put a Y connector on the water spigot. One end to the trailer, the other to the collapsible hose. I use it for washing dishes, etc.

The only trouble I had with it was the fittings leaked a bit until I really cranked down on everything. Otherwise it works great.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Why don't they just call it what it is? Not for DRINKING water.

I have the answer for that question. Few people have analyzed the word "potable".

But I have...Since water is ABLE to go into a POT, it is POT ABLE. 😉

Now, one can sleep tonight.

🙂
Ray

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The label specifically states the hose is NOT to be left on for any length of time. They are used for temporary use only. Ergo, they cannot be used for regular water hookups on your RV...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Corkey05 wrote:
Moffittclan wrote:
What makes them "certified for potable water"? I grew up drinking out of the end of a garden hose...is there some special coating or what? I've always seen (and used) the white hose, but never understood really why...
I didn't know util I was an adult that ordinary garden hoses were manufacture with lead as an ingredient. I suppose that make me contaminated - LOL :).

Potable water hoses are manufactured with non-carcinogenic materials, and are labeled as Certified for Potable water. I have no idea who certifies. The web site for this hose used to have a disclaimer in the FAQ's saying NOT to use it for potable water.

Components(in this case, water hoses) made for Potable water use are made from materials from the FDA "white list" of materials approved to safely come into contact with water or foods for human consumption. Typically, these items will show as "FDA Approved" or "FDA Compliant".

Sometime there will also be an "NSF" approval (National Sanitation Foundation now known as NSF International). NSF International is an accredited, independent third-party certification body that tests and certifies products to meet these public health and safety standards. Although, an NSF accreditation is very time consuming and very expensive, so it unlikely to be seen much on RV components. It is geared more toward high end products.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Moffittclan wrote:
What makes them "certified for potable water"? I grew up drinking out of the end of a garden hose...is there some special coating or what? I've always seen (and used) the white hose, but never understood really why...

Is that what happened? 😉

That's the excuse I'm going to start using!
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
They did.. NOT POTABLE
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We have them and really like them.

I wouldn't use them for a permanent hookup as they are susceptible to UV damage but to wash the RV or fill the fresh water tank, they work great and the ones I have are 3yrs old with no issues.

Stowage is drastically easier and they take up so much less space.

They may not be "certified" for fresh water but they also aren't the same material as the old green garden hoses that pretty much everyone has drank from without ill effects.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Moffittclan wrote:

Is that what happened? 😉

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Moffittclan wrote:
I didn't know util I was an adult that ordinary garden hoses were manufacture with lead as an ingredient. I suppose that make me contaminated - LOL :).

Potable water hoses are manufactured with non-carcinogenic materials, and are labeled as Certified for Potable water. I have no idea who certifies. The web site for this hose used to have a disclaimer in the FAQ's saying NOT to use it for potable water.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Moffittclan
Explorer
Explorer
330hp Cat 3126E
2014 Jeep JKU (toad)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to hear about the leaks thing. I was just about ready to get one.

The potable water issue is not a problem with us. We only use bottled water here for cooking and drinking...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I've yet to find one that's certified for potable water. The issue of fitting leaks seems to be a big overriding issue.

Those two issues keep me waiting in the wings.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I used some of those at home and after 3 sets I gave up, they keep springing leaks. If they can make one that keeps together I'd buy it as they work nice otherwise.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7