cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F53 Blowout

ptl_10
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday coming home from a weekend of camping and my left rear inner tire blew out. I did not think it was to bad until I looked back about 1/4 mile and saw a fire starting on the side of the road. I hurried up and unhooked the toad and drove back to find my whole exhaust system on the side of the road burning up the grass. Lucky a few passer bys stopped and helped put out the fire. Then I noticed that the rear most part of my driveshaft was laying under the exhaust, well half of it anyway. The other half was on the other side of the road. Coachnet came through for me with some great service to get me home. Surprised that the tire blewout, it was a BF Goodrich Commercial TA with a date code of 3708, always check the pressure before getting on the rode and everything was fine. Anyone know a good place to get exhaust and driveline parts near Orlando? These 2 items have to be the worst to find for these 96 F53 chassis's.
1997 Fleetwood Southwind
2000 Dodge Dakota
11 REPLIES 11

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
If you can not find a replacement driveshaft, a local machine shop should be able to replace the shaft tube and weld the old ends on the new tube.. Been there, done that..

Lt46
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check with the RV repair shop up on 27 in Minneola (can't think of the name right now)but I've seen them doing all types of repairs including chassis and driveline work. Never had any work done there myself so can't speak to quality.
Peter & Dawn
[black] 97 Winnebago Adventurer 37RW [/black]
F53/460 w/ tag axle
[black] 96 Prowler 27X SOLD[/black]
IAFF L-792 (Ret.)

popeye766
Explorer
Explorer
Let me say this.....if the REAR END yoke is damaged or broke you have a lot more trouble than you think....however , believe me a good mechanic can install a new one and seal without breaking your rear end apart......ASK before you commit to a rear end rebuild for around $3000 just to put a yoke on.....my thoughts by experience.....

ptl_10
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I will try contacting them tomorrow.
1997 Fleetwood Southwind
2000 Dodge Dakota

ptl_10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I have the drive shaft. It was broken in half. There was also a chunk taken out of the yoke in the rear end.
1997 Fleetwood Southwind
2000 Dodge Dakota

popeye766
Explorer
Explorer
COLAW RV salvage in MO. will have all your parts..

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
ptl_10 wrote:
Yea I was wondering that also but the tread was completely off the tire and the tailpipe for the exhaust comes out right in front of the tire. I think the tire blew and wrapped around the tailpipe and ripped the exhaust off and the exhaust dented the drive shaft causing the drive shaft to rip apart and come off.

well now that that's settled. 🙂

do you have the drive shaft?

ptl_10
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I was wondering that also but the tread was completely off the tire and the tailpipe for the exhaust comes out right in front of the tire. I think the tire blew and wrapped around the tailpipe and ripped the exhaust off and the exhaust dented the drive shaft causing the drive shaft to rip apart and come off.
1997 Fleetwood Southwind
2000 Dodge Dakota

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much the rv places there in winter garden is your best bet. It sounds like you dropped your drive shaft which took the exhaust and tire with it.

Did you notice a difference in the gas peddle?

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, doubtfull a blowout could take out a driveshaft!
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Based on what you have said happened, it might not have been the tire that failed first. Since the back part of your drive shaft was dropped, I am guessing that the rear U-joint failed, which threw the drive shaft, which took out the exhaust and inner tire. Usually if the middle carrier bearing fails, it just makes a lot of noise without ejecting any parts.