cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

failed outlet

dieselrv08
Explorer
Explorer
Wife decided to clean the carpet and plugged the rented, heavy duty, carpet cleaner into the outlet in the motorhome kitchen. It ran 5 minutes and stopped. Checked breakers, all other outlets work fine. No smoke or smell, connections look fine. Anyone have something else that I can try?
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you know how to do wiring I have a suggestion:

Add one or two 15/20 amp outlets These have a "T" shaped neutral slot, They must be mounted in a proper box (not like a standard RV outlet)

I put in two, each of them is connected to the breaker with 12ga wire, Each outlet has a breaker all to itself, one on each leg of my 50 amp service.

Space heaters, Carpet cleaners, Vacuums, They all love these outlets.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dieselrv08
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone, it was the GFCI reset under the refrigerator, there was a green light on indicating that it was ok but it was the propane alarm, after resetting the outlet it is fine.

agree with all the above---- Look for a tripped GFCI in either kitchen or bathroom.... Good Luck finding the issue
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suspect list
GFCI
GFCI junction box (Behind the GFCI)
2nd GFCI (some rigs hae 2) and junction box)
Inverter (if you have one
Inverter junction box (if you have one)
Outlet, not necessarily the one that failed.

Standard RV outlets often use a punch down means of connect, in this type of connector the wire is pushed down into a slot in a metal "Blade" not the best contact and not enough contact surfact.. A heavy load (over 10 amps) and max out these connectors. Though usually you smell hot wire when that happens.

Many RV outlets
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm with the GFCI crowd. Kitchen outlets and outside outlets all have to be GFCI protected.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree, check the circuit breakers on the inverter first.
Some manufacturers did use the outlets where they just pushed the bare wire in to the back of the outlet, instead of stripping the wire, wrapping it around the terminal, and tightening the screw. This type of outlet connection cannot handle a high amp load and they have been known to fail.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
dieselrv08 wrote:
Wife decided to clean the carpet and plugged the rented, heavy duty, carpet cleaner into the outlet in the motorhome kitchen. It ran 5 minutes and stopped. Checked breakers, all other outlets work fine. No smoke or smell, connections look fine. Anyone have something else that I can try?

Most likely tripped a ground fault outlet that this one is down range from. Try resetting and probably in the bathroom. Then use another outlet, as the machine may have a slight leak to ground. With the breakers, make sure by turning each one completely off and back on again.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kitchen? GFCI tripped

justlou
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an inverter, it should have breakers mounted on the side of the inverter. One of these is probably tripped. Also, it may be controlled by a GFCI located in the bathroom.
justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD