cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fave hydraulic leveling system?

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
I'm tired of crawling around planking my 24 ft Bigfoot in the rain and snow. We boondock 99% of the time. Time to splurge! I would like reports from any of you who have used at least two different brands of levelers. Equalizer, Bigfoot and HWH look good online.
What say you?
8 REPLIES 8

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Ive had 2 different sets of HWH leveling and as far as Im concerned my next coach will have HWH on it.!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
My HWH jacks work in 2's. Leveling Front and rear.. You can also lower them manually
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
I do not believe you would twist the frame. The system can be operated either automatically or manually. In manual position, each jack can be adjusted independently or in pairs. For any further questions, I recommend calling their tech rep at 1-800-725-9815. They have been most helpful to me in every case.

fireflock
Explorer
Explorer
I have HWH kick-downs. They came with the coach.

I love them when they work, but I've become pretty good at removing them, boxing them up, and sending them back to HWH for a rebuild.

Stuarts Service www.rvleveling.com/ has been great to me for parts and advice. I'd strongly consider them for an install if I was in the area (you're not...).

For what they cost new, I'd also consider Bigfoot.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacks are OK but try to see if you can get away withOUT the kick down feature. They aren't as steady as "direct" and I consistently have trouble with a jack extending before it's kicked down.

We had a 24' with kickdown jacks. It was OK, but here's what happened:

Front jacks are so far aft that you get "rear lift" in addition to the commanded front lift.

And, the rear rails are narrow. The jacks mount close to the axle. So when you want "right lift" you also get left.

These two add up to often adding up to the coach much higher than it needs to be to actually get level. We could be on a somewhat but not extremely irregular site and end up level with a front wheel off the ground.

The old coach, the 24', had a single control for each wheel. Understanding that I didn't want to rack the frame, I used them carefully and liked that. The coach we have now (signature) runs two at a time. Personally, I don't like it. I'd rather do one at a time (or push two buttons at a time, how hard is that!) and have control. Last trip I had to give up on the jacks. I said "lift front" and one jack kicked vertical. Actually reached the ground. Other extended fully without kicking down and also would not retract. Couldn't pull it to vertical because it was too "long" to clear the ground and I couldn't get any perch to pry it retracted from. It's still extended. I used blocks. Still have a stuck jack to free up.

On a new coach, adding jacks rolls into the financing, maybe a dollar or two a month. Used coach, if one has jacks I'd probably buy it over the one that didn't. But I'd be hard pressed to spend $3000 to add them.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

nightshift
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, gents. But if each leg is independent I'm worried about twisting the frame while leveling. Or can you work 2 legs at once?

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
I had the BF system dealer installed 4 years ago. It has been a superb system. I had one event that I could not get the system to function. Called the 800 number and got an immediate answer from the tech and he talked me through the correct procedure. I have called several times since then for various reasons and always got through to the tech quickly. I could not ask for better customer service. The product is excellent and I would do it again without hesitation. Good Luck.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
I have had Power Gear on class A. It was a 3 point system. Poor customer service.
Big Foot on. Class A
HWH on. Class A and this C.
The BF was nice as ech jack was hyd independent. So if one did not work. You could still use the system. Takeoff the jack and get it fixed.
I also like our HWH that we have.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+