cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filing up DEF

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2016 Fleetwood Excursion and the DEF fill is on the passenger side. When pulling into truck stops the DEF fill is always on the driver side. I've seen that people will pull in the opposite direction at truck stops, but that can be tricky to do in the real world when it's always really busy there. My tank is inset and hard to fill directly from the DEF refill canisters without spilling. I ordered a battery pump to assist in filling from these refill canisters, but found I have to hold the canister higher than the fill point for the pump to work, and it's really slow and I still spilled. Why do manufacturers put DEF fill on the passenger side? What am I missing here? Any help would be much appreciated !
2016 Fleetwood Excursion 35E
11 REPLIES 11

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could you not just go buy a jerry can with a long nozzle, label it as "DEF ONLY" and use that? If the nozzle still isn't long enough, could you buy a clear flexible vinyl tube that fits over the end of the nozzle and fits into the DEF fill? Just wondering. I don't think that there is anything magical about the factory DEF containers. But I may be wrong.

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ed - have several long neck funnels, but I think with the deep position of the fill position I need a can with a long spout attached to prevent spilling.

Joe - I'm going to try your method.

Thanks guys for your comments !

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Jamster wrote:
Thanks AllegroD -

That's an idea. Not sure if you have the same problem as I with the inset tank, but I need to find a long neck jug to fill up DEF from the pump. I have long neck funnels but hard to keep from spilling.

Appreciate your comment !

Have a 2019 Tiffin RED 37BA. Yours may be different setup. I use this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEPIU4M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
To help prevent DEF in the fuel and fuel in the DEF. I am sure you would be fine and professional drivers... but we are talking about the general public here.

Don't be so sure about the "Professional drivers." I worked for a large LTL truck line. One of the alleged professional drivers topped the fuel tank with DEF. Truck only had about 50K miles on it, toasted the engine. Last I heard it was recommended that he seek other employment.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
AllegroD wrote:
We carry jugs, fill the DEF and then fill the tanks.

That's what I've been doing for the past 10 yrs. I have 2, 1 gallon jugs that fit nicely into my pegboard bay. I fill them with DEF after fueling and then when I'm at the next nights stop ( or when I stop for the next fuel up) I empty the jugs into the DEF tank. I have reasonable long flex spouts on the DEF jugs to facilitate putting into the DEF tank
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
Get a long neck funnel!
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Time2Roll -

Yep, that makes sense. Makes it much harder on all us "more smarter" people - ha ha

thanks for your comment.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Jamster wrote:
Why do manufacturers put DEF fill on the passenger side? What am I missing here? Any help would be much appreciated !
To help prevent DEF in the fuel and fuel in the DEF. I am sure you would be fine and professional drivers... but we are talking about the general public here.

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks AllegroD -

That's an idea. Not sure if you have the same problem as I with the inset tank, but I need to find a long neck jug to fill up DEF from the pump. I have long neck funnels but hard to keep from spilling.

Appreciate your comment !

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We carry jugs, fill the DEF and then fill the tanks.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Because the engineers that design motor homes are not the sharpest tacks in the box. Look how many yrs it took them to finally figure out to hinge the basement doors horizontally.