cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fleetwood revolution coach batteries

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Fleetwood revolution. I asked my guy about adding water to the coach batteries and discovered, after owning for a year, that he had never added any. Upon looking, I find that those batteries are covered by a "shroud" and are located on what appears to be a tray that should slide out. But, it doesn't. and the shroud is pretty low. You can get your arm in to pry up the covers, but you cannot see into the cells. Does any one have any knowledge of this? I need answers before my guy decides I am more trouble than I am worth ๐Ÿ™‚
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE
18 REPLIES 18

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my wet cells with AGM. I am selling the QuikFill battery watering system I used with the wet cells, if anyone is interested. It has parts to fill 5 batteries, and all the tubing and squeeze pump. $60
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug. That's good info. I appreciate your input.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2008 Rev's came standard with AGM batteries. When it came time to replace them, a previous owner went CHEAP and replaced with lead Acid Batteries. Now, you have LEAD ACID batteries and the Coach battery Charging system(The Inverter), is set up to charge AGM batteries. When you replace AGM's with Lead Acid batteries you MUST change the charge parameters in the Inverter for Lead Acid battery charging. Leaving it on AGM setting will cause Lead Acid battery charging failure and slowly destroy the batteries. Doug

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
eheading wrote:
I agree with others, I am amazed that your 2008 Revolution did not come with AGM batteries. We had a 2005 Revolution LE for 9 years. It came with AGM batteries, and that was why our tray didn't slide in and out. The AGM batteries were the best coach batteries we ever had; no water to add, no maintenance, no corrosion in the battery compartment, and when we sold the motorhome after 9 years, the batteries were still doing fine.

Our replacement motorhome did not come with AGM's, and after 3 years of filling water, and watching corrosion start in the battery compartment from the acid vapors, I bought the bullet and replaced them with AGM's. Great move once I paid for the batteries. Now no maintenance, no corrosion, etc. etc.

As others have said, if you can afford the cost of the batteries, go for the AGM's!!!

Ed Headington

Our '08 Dynasty had 8 wet cell house batteries. When it was time to replace, I went with AGM's. Wish I had done it WAY before I did.

I had to have the two battery trays sanded and repainted and they looked like new and stayed that way when we sold the coach in 2014.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others, I am amazed that your 2008 Revolution did not come with AGM batteries. We had a 2005 Revolution LE for 9 years. It came with AGM batteries, and that was why our tray didn't slide in and out. The AGM batteries were the best coach batteries we ever had; no water to add, no maintenance, no corrosion in the battery compartment, and when we sold the motorhome after 9 years, the batteries were still doing fine.

Our replacement motorhome did not come with AGM's, and after 3 years of filling water, and watching corrosion start in the battery compartment from the acid vapors, I bought the bullet and replaced them with AGM's. Great move once I paid for the batteries. Now no maintenance, no corrosion, etc. etc.

As others have said, if you can afford the cost of the batteries, go for the AGM's!!!

Ed Headington

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
Wow, here goes.
First of all, the battery tray does NOT slide. but it looked like it would. I was with you tho, thinking it would. then on the battery age. My guy is a bit up on me. He had replaced the batteries I April of this year. So now, I sit here with a red face. The batteries did need a little water, but, what went into all the batteries would have fit in an 8 ounce baby bottle. Tropical36, we do not have the AGM batteries. Our batteries are not located any other electrical equipment. They reside by themselves in their own compartment. This motorhome is great. Love it.

They must have made some changes in the 08 Rev then.
Still can't believe it didn't come with AGM's, although this was the beginning of the great recession.
Just for druthers, you might make a call to AC with your VIN to confirm. As for using wet cells, they're OK, but might take a different setting on the charger, as said.
This coach also has a Cummins engine, rather than a CAT, correct?
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, here goes.
First of all, the battery tray does NOT slide. but it looked like it would. I was with you tho, thinking it would. then on the battery age. My guy is a bit up on me. He had replaced the batteries I April of this year. So now, I sit here with a red face. The batteries did need a little water, but, what went into all the batteries would have fit in an 8 ounce baby bottle. Tropical36, we do not have the AGM batteries. Our batteries are not located any other electrical equipment. They reside by themselves in their own compartment. This motorhome is great. Love it.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
You should probably check you inverter/charger settings on the control panel. Mine has different charge settings between AGM types or standard lead acid, especially if unsure what OEM type battery the coach had.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
The shroud has screws in each corner at the front; if you remove them, you will be able to push the front edge up pretty far, enabling you to see the tops of the batteries and facilitate changing them at some point. Mine has sprayed in foam at the back but it just moves slightly out of the way. Then use a bungee cord to hold it up.
I too, do highly recommend a watering system.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
We have a 2008 Fleetwood revolution. I asked my guy about adding water to the coach batteries and discovered, after owning for a year, that he had never added any. Upon looking, I find that those batteries are covered by a "shroud" and are located on what appears to be a tray that should slide out. But, it doesn't. and the shroud is pretty low. You can get your arm in to pry up the covers, but you cannot see into the cells. Does any one have any knowledge of this? I need answers before my guy decides I am more trouble than I am worth ๐Ÿ™‚

I believe it you'll look into it, your coach came with AGM sealed batteries from the factory and would recommend going with an OEM replacement type, as I did, immediately after purchasing our coach last year. Expensive, I know, but worth it and especially if your batteries are located in the same compartment as your inverter/converter and other electrical equipment. I really didn't much care if it was vented and had a rubber seal around the area, as putting wet cell batteries and electrical equipment in the same compartment is a no no in my book.
If you insist on using wet cell batteries, look into a watering system, which is a series of tubes and allows one to fill all the batteries at once from a single tube. Still a PITA, IMO.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
IF you had to add MORE than 1 pint of water per battery, the batteries are BAD. The plates have partially sulfated from the plates NOT immersed in acid. While you can ADD water and still use the RV, I would NOT trust those batteries. Doug

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Clean and lubricate the slides on the battery tray so you can move the slide out. Remove the shroud and properly service the batteries. If your guy hasn't looked at them for a year, the terminals are likely covered with corrosion and need to be cleaned with a baking soda solution, burnished with a battery terminal wire brush and reconnected covered with di-electric grease. While you have the batteries disconnected, fill them with distilled water and check the voltage and specific gravity.

Or you can do what most others do and just buy new batteries every 2 years.

Your choice.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna, Yes, we are keeping the coach. I love it. I will certainly check out the Pro-Fill watering system. Today, when I was trying to add water, my daughter was here and helped me. Those batteries in the back are a lonnnnnnng reach. Thanks!
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are keeping the coach, add Pro-Fill watering system.

You connect a hand pump once every few months and stick the hose into a gallon jug and pump until they are full.

Auto shut off when full.

clicky link
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.