cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida SunPass Questions ??

SPRING_STREET
Explorer
Explorer
Will be traveling to Homestead from the north planning on using the Florida Turnpike. I will be driving a 43' Rv pulling a toad. Am I better off using a SunPass or just stopping at each toll station(which seems like a real hassel ) Will I need one for the RV and for the toad ?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated !
2011 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4344, FMCA F334596, Cummins Power Play,Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2017 Ford Edge Titanium with a 6 cylinder Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster Night Hawk Tow Bar and Base Plates. 😉
21 REPLIES 21

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
hernando van wrote:
You save money using the sun pass.

Yes, that too.

I think you are going to be charged the rate that you "register" the vehicle at and you can move the SunPass among any of the two axle vehicles that you have registered.

I suspect that adding an axle by pulling a trailer or anything else with an extra axle or two on the ground would officially require you to pay a higher rate......but that they really have no mechanism to catch that. Seems like I remember that at one time they were 6 months or more behind in sending out violation notices...(or was that Illinois ??).
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

hernando_van
Explorer
Explorer
You save money using the sun pass.
hernando van

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a motor home, but we really liked the SunPass. You can get an app for your phone that lets you monitor how much money is left on it and add more. Very convenient, and no stopping for tolls!
Cardinal 33TSLE

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even tho I have my MH plate registered, and my toads, I have never been charged for the toad when using my Sun Pass and going through the Sun Pass lane.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Note that for most of that trip, I-95 runs parallel to the Turnpike and sometimes actually has less traffic.....and no tolls.
Most days, it's a gamble as to which is the best choice.

For the proper answer to your Sunpass questions, call them.
Pretty sure that a Google search for "Sunpass" will lead you to a contact number.

I'm not sure what this means: "you won't be charged for the toad unless its actually being towed." The charges are based on the number of axles in use.
I did not think they had a mechanism to lower the rate when the trailer and/or toad is absent, when you are using the automatic Sunpass lanes, that is.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just do the toll by plate? The plus side to doing toll by plate is that if they don't get your motorhome plate and only the toad you don't get charged for the toll(on a tow dolly anyway) . I only learned this because we travelled all over florida for a month and went through many tolls by plate lanes.

Waiting for the hefty toll bill and I only got a bill for $2.50 on TWO tolls and the photo barely had the coach plate.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
we always use sunpass pulling our trailer. when you purchase your sunpass and go on line to register you also register the trailer also. you won't be charged for the toad unless its actually being towed.