cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FORD EBRAKE TRANSMISSION FAILURE

MELPOSSUM
Explorer
Explorer
I WOULD LIKE TO INFORM RVR'S THAT THE EBRAKE TRANSMISSION MY CLASS A COACHMEN MOTORHOME WITH A FORD CHASSIS HAS FAILED AND HAD TO BE REPAIRED AT A COST OF $4000.
I AM INTERESTED IN HEARING HOW MANY OWNERS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
THE MOTORHOME ONLY HAD 32,000 MILES BUT IS ONE YEAR OUT OF WARRANTY.
42 REPLIES 42

indyzmike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks FIREUP, since it is so difficult to locate the part numbers for the gasket, shoes, and seals, can you help us along with that info? It would save us a lot of time and trouble.
2004 Coachmen Freedom 285QB Class C

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Fireup, thanks for taking the time to write all that. I had a good laugh or two and that is always a gift.

Anyway since you got it all apart I was wondering is there anyway that ATF can make it into the assembly. Sounds to me like that is a pretty sealed unit and can sit on the self without ever leaking.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Gang,
I (and I think Richard) are some of the few that have actually removed, disassembled, rebuilt, re-assembled and, reinstalled the ZF unit on our coaches. Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, says: THE ZF PARKING BRAKE IS NOT REBUILDABLE AND, YOU MUST BUY A NEW ONE!

Well, I usually like to go against the grain on things like that. To me, it's just a line in a movie called "The Score", said by Robert Dinero. In there he's talking to Edward Norton about safe cracking. He tells Ed, "Someone can build it, so, someone can "UNBUILD" it"

That was my attitude. So, I removed my ZF unit and, did some research on it. This is a very, very simple unit. all that's involved inside that unit is, a couple of seals, an o-ring or two (I've forgotten because it was a long time ago), two, rather large opposite facing Timken tapered bearings, a short shaft and, two brake shoes with an actuator, and, a drum. The bearings and races are standard in size. That is, you can get them in any auto parts store catalog. I got mine from Grainger.

Now, where it's really critical in the entire assembly is the seals. You can get cheap-o seals at your local auto parts store but, if you do, you can expect leaking, within a few miles of re-installation and that unit get's warm. I forgot all the terminology and correct name for these seals but, I used "Nitrile" seals. They were considerably more expensive than standard seals but, they're also considerably more heat tolerant too.

But, what's kind of amazing is, the way these things are put together and taken apart. I know it's hard to believe but, it's almost like their put together from the inside out. Yeah, I know, that's impossible but, in reality, it's not. You just have to realize how things fit in that little assembly.

My brake shoes were cracked and soaked with ATF so, I needed new ones. I looked at the part numbers stamped on them and, within one day, had new ones, YEAH SURE THEY'RE NOT REBUILDABLE FORD!!!!!!

I had the bearings in less than a day but, the seals, because they were special construction materials, had to come from a specialty seal supplier. That took about 3-4 days to get them. And, they were not cheap. If I recall, those two seals, ran me about $60 or more. I'd have to dig up more info to get you an actual real quote.

But, as much as it's a simple unit, it was a bit of a challenge to reassemble it. But, I finally got it. Now, here's the real kicker. There's a gasket between the back of the trans and, the ZF unit. Well, Ford has no idea what to call that gasket. They gave me the crooked puppy head look when I asked for it. I went to a couple of Ford parts houses before I found a gent who, like me, THOUGHT OUTSIDE THE BOX.

He came up with an idea. He said, "Let's try FOUR WHEEL DRIVE"! Well, he get's the zillion dollar prize. You see, the tail housing on any of the automatics in your F-53 coaches, that has that ZF parking brake, is actually configured for and, setup for, four wheel drive. That is, A TRANSFER CASE CAN ACTUALLY BOLT RIGHT UP TO IT!!

And, because of that, that's how and where we came up with the correct gasket between the ZF parking brake and the tail housing of that trans. So, as for filling it to the correct level, you can fill it even with the unit off the coach. You just have to have it level with that fill plug. That will give you the correct oil/ATF level.

After the rebuild, we drove that coach for another several thousand miles and no leaking. Our daughter and son-in-law had it for a few thousand miles and, still no leak. They just recently sold it so, I must have done something right. And, for those of you that may just want to purchase a new one or, a "remanufactured one" (since Ford says they're not rebuildable), well, you've got a couple of options. One, they're on ebay quite often for around $800.00 plus or minus for a remanufactured unit.

Ford has them, at least the last time I looked, brand spankin new, for right at, are you sitting down, $1650.00. Like stated, it's been a while so, if I recall, I rebuilt mine for around $150.00, plus or minus.So, for you do it yourselfer types, it's really not a hard job. The unit weighs around 40 or so pounds, plus or minus so, be careful in removing it and re-installing it, don't get hurt lifting it off the tail housing or, re-installing it.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
John&Joey wrote:
96bounder wrote:
...snip...My first chore for the weekend is two check the fluid level in mine.

Slowly undo the plug, if some fluid starts to appear run the plug right back in. They were overfilled when built, and you'll never get that much fluid in them again.

The're not over filled when built.
The front lip seal is designed to keep the ATF in. Most lip seals only form a positive seal one way, thus allowing some transmission fluid to migrate into the e-brake assy.
Drain your e-brake assy to the bottom of the hole. Come back 6 months later and you will find it over full again. Just the nature of the beast.Richard

Didn't know that. Was told they tilted it prior to putting the plug in.

On edit

Wonder why they run dry on some since it's a bath and they are getting some blow by. I know if you drive for awhile with the e-brake on you're going to have an issue.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
96bounder wrote:

Slowly undo the plug, if some fluid starts to appear run the plug right back in. They were overfilled when built, and you'll never get that much fluid in them again.

The're not over filled when built.
The front lip seal is designed to keep the ATF in. Most lip seals only form a positive seal one way, thus allowing some transmission fluid to migrate into the e-brake assy.
Drain your e-brake assy to the bottom of the hole. Come back 6 months later and you will find it over full again. Just the nature of the beast.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
96bounder wrote:

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
The OP wasn't shouting because he is upset. Look at his signiture, he types in caps!
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
I very shamed to admit this but I never knew my coach had this until reading this post. I assumed it was a simple drum brake on the drive line.

My first chore for the weekend is two check the fluid level in mine.
I think that's the reason I hang around this place .Seems there is always something new to learn about a coach
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

PhotoMasterGreg
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm going to sound dumb, but my Class A (I'm new to a coach) has a Ford F53 chassis with a V10 and I have no clue what the E-Brake is. Please shed some light on this for a newby.

Bruce_Brown
OhhWell wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
All this info regarding the e-brake location and service SHOULD be in the motorhomes' operators manual. At least it is in mine.

One would think....................

Seeing as the OP has made 1 and only 1 post, and has yet to come back to this one makes me wonder just a little if it was just a trolling post?

I think it was a guy who got pissed because something actually broke on his relatively new (but out of warranty) motorhome and he was faced with a large repair bill. I think he was hoping for enough information to try and pressure for an exception due to it being a known issue or something.

I am not surprised they haven't posted again. I personally made a few assumptions on their mental and social aptitude based on the tone and ALL CAPS of their post. I don't think I was wrong. Next thing you know, they will find out that you actually have to change the oil on these things.

I understand why he was upset, but to make a hit and run post really doesn't do much in the way of helping IMO. It kind of looks like trolling.

Maybe he just needed to vent, AND BASED ON THE ALL CAPS I'M THINKING THAT WAS PROBABLY THE CASE. :B
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
That looks the same as on my V10. They over filled all of them. I read that was because when it was at the factory, they could tilt the fill hole up more. Anything you could do to get more ATF in there would be good.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
Seeing as the OP has made 1 and only 1 post, and has yet to come back to this one makes me wonder just a little if it was just a trolling post?

I guess some senior members have more then one ID :h maybe this is the case here.

Here's a pic for the 460 V8. Don't know if it's valid for the Ford V10.

For the V8 much of the time they were overfilled, so in my mind tilting the rig with the levelers should be OK when adding ATF.

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
jerseyjim wrote:
All this info regarding the e-brake location and service SHOULD be in the motorhomes' operators manual. At least it is in mine.

I think it was a guy who got pissed because something actually broke on his relatively new (but out of warranty) motorhome and he was faced with a large repair bill. I think he was hoping for enough information to try and pressure for an exception due to it being a known issue or something.

I am not surprised they haven't posted again. I personally made a few assumptions on their mental and social aptitude based on the tone and ALL CAPS of their post. I don't think I was wrong. Next thing you know, they will find out that you actually have to change the oil on these things.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Bruce_Brown
jerseyjim wrote:

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer