cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front AC rain leaking

richarfg
Explorer
Explorer
We had a deluge rain several nights ago. After this was going on for awhile, I noticed water dripping from a fluorescent light fixture directly below the mounting of the AC. I have been in numerous rain storms (perhaps not as bad), and never had a leak issue. Upon inspection, I noticed that the AC actually is not flat on the roof; but instead has Styrofoam material approximately 1/2" x 2" x 4" located in several different places (I presume the Styrofoam is for the purpose of dampening vibration). The rain apparently was blowing under the AC since, once again, it is not flat on the roof, and in fact sits about 1/2 inch above. It is impossible to see under the AC to check for use of sealant. I have no idea how it's mounted, and at this point I can only presume that the leak was a result of a blowing rain; unusual from other storms encountered. I would appreciate any technical advice about the installation, and possible causes for the leak.
4 REPLIES 4

path1
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on above posts. And be careful so you don't break any plastic getting to the bolts.

And if you have newer type bolts with the plastic tabs on them, tight enough is when tab starts to compress. After getting water tight, add tightening bolts to annual maint check list. Some parts of this vid might come in handy for you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69hwGiIqGoU
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't crank down on them. I would start with two turns. You are compressing a foam gasket and when its fully compressed it has to be replaced. Two turns every few years.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Above post is right on. Sometimes the bolts need to be tightened and after a number of times/ years, tightened the seals need to be replaced.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
it sits on a foam seal and mounts with 4 bolts these bolts need to be snug but not overtightened.sounds like they are loose now