cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you rebuild/repair a vintage Heart inverter charger?

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
Water tank lower line popped off and showered the EMS Heart 2800-12 inverter charger in my 92 Monaco :(. I dried it out, reset the front fuse but it's dead. Wondering if there's a way to revive it before I try a pricey new one?

If not what's the best replacement unit?
7 REPLIES 7

Retiredblade
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 13 years old, two years ago it suffered a nervious brake down, doing things it shouldn't. I was told to go to www.tekrispower.com, I did, I talked to the owner, Chris, he knows his stuff, I sent it to him for repair. He repaired it, a electrical board went out,put a new fan in it also, the old one was defective from the factory. Sure cheaper than buying a new one.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
NorthOrSouth wrote:
Water tank lower line popped off and showered the EMS Heart 2800-12 inverter charger in my 92 Monaco :(. I dried it out, reset the front fuse but it's dead. Wondering if there's a way to revive it before I try a pricey new one?

If not what's the best replacement unit?

There is a repair place in Michigan that re-did one for me...
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Just went thru this with mine, there is a .25 amp fuse inside that protects the circuit board. It can not be seen until some disassembly is done. There is directions on line for this.

.25 AMP = you look at it wrong it blows. ๐Ÿ™‚
Trouble shooting.
http://www.tekrispower.com/pdfs/xantrex/Freedom-Fleet%20Power%20Troubleshooting.pdf
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

cquinn5
Explorer
Explorer
I had my Heart Freedom 2000w rebuilt (1999 model). Cost $700.00 but still cheaper than a new one. It works better than when it was new.
Southeast power did the rebuilt.

Cliff
Cliff & Karen Quinn
The Great Outdoors

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let me put it this way: IF electronics get soaked, but are NOT POWERED at the time, I know what to do.

IF they are powered bad things MIGHT happen... Yes it can be rebuilt, but tech's often cost 100-200/hour now days. (I am a bit cheaper but I would rather NOT do this job).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion but having the inverter/charger diagnosed and repaired could be very expensive. After you find someone who could fix it, compare that price to possible prices from the multitude of salvage store around the country.

I have a list of Surplus/Salvage yards in my files but couldn't find it after a quick search. I am in the process of converting all my reference stuff for RV's to PDFs and right now it's a mess.

If part of you reason for wanting to retain you vintage inverter is the possible need to move to a new location, and mess up the looks of stuff. There is a guy who is often mentioned here who know what to buy and how to install the new guts of most manufacturers inverter/chargers without any mods to the house.

Google converters and you'll come up with his name.

You could try warming your inverter in the oven. Use a low temp, actually very low temp for s couple of hours. Take several continuity readings before and after baking. If no changes occurs, you're probably toast.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ask an electronic expert at a repair shop. There used to be chemicals that you could soak a piece of electronic equipment in that would displace the water. Once things have dried out, everything is good to go. The fact that you turned it on, and tried it, may have zapped something that now needs to be replaced.
Anything can be fixed, if parts are available and you have deep pockets.