cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front End Alignment

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Taking my rig to a truck shop on Wednesday to get an alignment. It doesn't pull to either side, but the steering is a little more loose than I would like and I also want to see if there's any help the alignment can give me when it comes to sway from trucks/cars. I will likely get the tech to do the Cheap Handling Fix while he's under there as well. I have previously replaced the OEM sway bar bushings with poly bushings, which made a world of difference in the amount of sway since the OEM bushings were practically gone. They will also check the rear axle alignment and leaf springs.

I've read that they should set the caster to the upper end of the specs, and in talking to him on the phone to make the appointment, he had already mentioned that as one solution. Anything else to ask him to look for while under the rig?
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
17 REPLIES 17

Explorer
Explorer
Also be sure to leave the shop with a printout that says the front caster is at 4-1/2 degrees or a little more. They may try and talk you out of that, but be insistent.
Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Have him check the four wheel thrust angle to make sure that your rear axle is in proper alignment with your front axle.
If it is not in alignment it will continue to push against the front axle as you go down the road. Do not let him tell you that the rear axle is not adjustable. It is and any decent truck shop will know how to do it.
X2 and consider installing a rear track bar. It will help a lot.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have him check the four wheel thrust angle to make sure that your rear axle is in proper alignment with your front axle.
If it is not in alignment it will continue to push against the front axle as you go down the road. Do not let him tell you that the rear axle is not adjustable. It is and any decent truck shop will know how to do it.