cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front end shake or shimmy revisited

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was the original post: (Ok here goes; See my profile and signature for unit info. I have a shimmy that feels like an unbalanced tire that started on rough I20 in Louisiana. It gets so bad at my preferred speed of 62 to 63 that the dash bounces horribly. I have replaced the front and drive tires with 6 Michelin 235X85R16 XPS Rib. All the tire balancing has been double checked and different tires put on front. The front end has been aligned and ball joints and king pins checked. The stabilizer bar has a new shock. Both sway bars have new bushings. New shocks have been installed. The shimmy is still there. Suggestions anyone?!?!)
IT WAS A TAG AXLE TIRE!!!!! I had stupidly discounted the tag axle because the shake was felt mostly in the dash and steering. It was transmitted through out the frame. Lesson learned by me and admitted fully.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad
4 REPLIES 4

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Bikeboy57 wrote:
What was wrong with the tag tire? Out of balance? Loose wheel bearing? Bad shock?
It was a bad tire. Apparently a belt had torn loose. It was sort of like a "tire hernia". When we took the tire off, it had an 8 inch long hump under the tread. By the way, my tag tires are not Michelin. This one was a B F Goodrich with a 2010 birth date.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
What was wrong with the tag tire? Out of balance? Loose wheel bearing? Bad shock?
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glad that everything is fine now. It just proves that problems in one area can be felt in another area. It can get expensive throwing parts at a problem but sometimes that is the only recourse.

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the update. glad you figured it out
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar