cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel Pump Replacement 2004 Fleetwood Terra V-10

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
It's been an ongoing issue for a while now, The engine was hard to start but once started would run great, but every bow bad then would seam to loose power but pick it right back up, and a couple for codes would be set P0171 and P0174. so i checked all the hoses, replaced the MAS, vacuum check, could not find the problem.
A couple of weeks ago on our way to the CG I lost all power and it would not pull a very small hill. i was driving about 60MPH. moved over to the side of the road and was almost stopped, suddenly I had power like nothing had happen. made it to the CG with no other problem. Again I checked everything i could see and touch, hoses, wire connectors, motor would start and run great.
We came home with no issues. But i started rechecking, still could not find a problem, This time i dug out my old fuel pressure gauge and i had only 20 PSI at the port on the fuel rail, and when the accelerator was pushed it dropped to 18 or so, I though this cannot be right, the old gauge was broken. I purchased a new gauge and fuel filter, and tried again. 21PSI now. checked the wiring and i had a full 13.3 volts at the pump. i wiggled every connection from the main panel to the pump and no change. 13.3 volts checked with three different volt meters. Decided it was a fuel pump ordered a new one and started soaking all the nuts and bolts with penetrating fluid. three days later, with new pump in hand I found i could fit the pump between the top of the tank and the bottom of the coach, great i don't have to drop the tank. put the wrench on the first nut and with very little pressure the stud snapped off. :Swoops, re sprayed everything and waited and extra day, a couple of them moved a little bit so i re-sprayed and waited again. yesterday using the method i was taught, wire brush the the threads, loosen and tighten loosen and tighten. i ended up snapping off a second stud.

:?So if your still reading after all that, My question is how do i replace the studs if possible or will i need to remove the tank and take it to a machine shop?

David
2004 Fleetwood Terra 31H (no slides) F53 with V-10
16 REPLIES 16

jdavidsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I had replace the filter last summer and just replaced it again when we got back when i purchased the new fuel pressure gauge test kit. after replacing it the psi only increased 1 psi.
2004 Fleetwood Terra 31H (no slides) F53 with V-10

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Before you go any farther, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? We had a similar problem with our 2001 motorhome on the F53 chassis. Loss of power, especially when trying to climb hills, poor idle, etc., etc. I checked the maintenance records and found the last time I changed the fuel filter was nearly 60,000 miles earlier. I went to a parts house and picked one up. When I took the old one off it must have weighed close to 10 pounds. A quick test drive and everything was working great. No hesitation, plenty of power to climb hills, and no more rough idle.

If a fuel filter doesn't cure the problem you may need to remove the tank to access and replace the studs. Here's a link to removing the tank on a 1996 F53 chassis.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/f-53-fuel-pump-change-pictures-75723.html

The pump is different, but the tank removal and installation should be the same. If at all possible I would drain the tank. At 6.3 pounds per gallon a full tank (75 gallons) will weigh well over 300 lbs.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer