Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas RV Fill up tips

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
RV Folks,

I've recently switched from a DP to a Gas RV. Lots of pros/cons etc, however there is one thing that is rapidly landing in the cons column that I would love some advice on.

Where do you all fill up with gas? How are you fining gas stations with gasoline in the truck lanes?

This is why I'm asking. When we had our DP, it was a little frustrating having to fine gas stations with diesel, but I could always swing through the truck lanes when they were available. I had a gas RV now, and I'm finding it VERY difficult to fill up, especially when I'm towing. Very few, if any, truck stop stations have gasoline at the truck pumps. So I end up having to fight for an end spot in the normal car area, and block traffic and multiple pumps and whatnot. I REALLY don't like doing that. AND those rotten car gas pumps are slow, and shut off at $50-$100. By the 3rd run of the credit card, my card is being flagged by fraud protection.

Anyway, are you all using mobile apps or websites to locate stations that might be RV friendly and have gas in the truck lanes?

Thanks,
Brian
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929
33 REPLIES 33

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The National Truck Stop Directory lists stations with RV gas and that might help.

Regardless it's an excellent reference.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
prepilot_3ck wrote:
RV Folks,

I've recently switched from a DP to a Gas RV. Lots of pros/cons etc, however there is one thing that is rapidly landing in the cons column that I would love some advice on.

Where do you all fill up with gas? How are you fining gas stations with gasoline in the truck lanes?

This is why I'm asking. When we had our DP, it was a little frustrating having to fine gas stations with diesel, but I could always swing through the truck lanes when they were available. I had a gas RV now, and I'm finding it VERY difficult to fill up, especially when I'm towing. Very few, if any, truck stop stations have gasoline at the truck pumps. So I end up having to fight for an end spot in the normal car area, and block traffic and multiple pumps and whatnot. I REALLY don't like doing that. AND those rotten car gas pumps are slow, and shut off at $50-$100. By the 3rd run of the credit card, my card is being flagged by fraud protection.

Anyway, are you all using mobile apps or websites to locate stations that might be RV friendly and have gas in the truck lanes?

Thanks,
Brian

I used to maneuver into some pretty tight stations with our gasser, especially the Walmart's and even with our toad connected.
However if you're not comfortable with doing so, there's truck stops that have gas lanes, as well and have used them, also.
Either a Pilot or Flying J comes to mind in Seffner, FL and just for an example.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer
We are early risers, and like to hit the road early when we travel. Less hassle at the pumps in the early morning.
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was mentioned but timing is a big hint. Many newer convenience gas stations also have popular food and beer spots so avoid lunchtime and especially Friday, payday and Saturdays.

And start looking around half a tank before things get desperate.

Google Earth is helpful.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

prepilot_3ck
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
We have used Flying J who have RV islands for the last 20 years. Use the Pilot/Flying J app for locations.

^^^. This

Al

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm a Costco member already. We live in Vegas, and 2 of the 4 Costco's here are completely out of the question in terms of getting in and out. Lines are forever long, pushing cars out into the general population and the turns are just too tight. However, the other 2 in town I've used, still quite the spectacle, but it was doable. LOVED your post. Some day we'll be full time, for now...weekend warriors.
2016 Thor Outlaw 37RB
VW Tiguan Toad.
Coupla bikes, coupla dogs, coupla 40-somethings wishing they were retired.

My Reviews:
-----------
Campendium: https://www.campendium.com/users/157273
Campground Reviews: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/profile/31929

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if you card is not letting you gas up because of the fraud situation, you NEED TO TALK TO YOUR BANK. when we left for Yuma the first time I was in getting cash at our bank and the teller fixed us up right away on the use of our card. she said to just call and let them know when we get home and she would put the card back to the normal purchase mode

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
30' class A with toad. We just look carefully and have had veryfew problems at conveniance stores, and we avoid FJ and Pilot as the ones around our area and always a pain to fool with. We prefer stations that appreciate our 75 gallon fillups. Mostly though we use Walmart and Sams locations. Some of the Walmarts are pretty tight, but our rig has a very tight turning radius, just have to watch tail swing with the toad. Locally, we wait to attach the toad after the fillup at Walmart, but have no trouble with it attached. Just watch for cars parked in such a way to block your exit. Like others have said, I really hate to have to swipe twice, so usually just take card in and have them start pump for fillup. If they can't, or won't (pilot and FJ), I have been known to drive off to somewhere else.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:
IB853347201 wrote:
We have used Flying J who have RV islands for the last 20 years. Use the Pilot/Flying J app for locations.

^^^. This

Al

^^^. This X2

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because most gas coaches have their fuel pump in the tank, it is not advisable to let the tank run close to empty. That said I have never had any problem fueling my gas coach and I always am towing my toad. When my tank is approaching 1/4 tank I will stop at the next station that I can get in to. I have stopped at small stations that only had two pumps but it had easy access in and out. As long as you do not wait until you have no choice bu to use the stations near you, you should not have any issues. I very seldom use the large truck stops because they are usually the most expensive. I have found that the smaller stations away from the exit have lower prices and there is always one that I can fit into. If my tanks is below 1/2 full by the gauge, and I am driving past a station with easy access, I will stop.

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Corner stations with pumps parallel to the road are usually good. DW and I spot for each other depending who is driving. Stat looking at 1/2 tank any doubt, pass it up. 1/2 tank of gas means I am ful anyway, so time to stop.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I avoid Flying J and Pilot for diesel because they're over priced and the truck lanes are disgusting. So I'm in the same boat regarding finding a station to fit into or one that has diesel lanes. I found that a lot of Shell stations have truck lanes. I avoid stations where the islands are perpendicular to the store and try to use the island on the end. Another trick is to use Google Maps/Earth in street view to look at a station.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
"In addition to Kroger Stores, its groceries include Cala Foods, City Markets, Copps, Dillons, FoodsCo, Fred Meyer Stores, Fry's, King Soopers, Mariano's Fresh Market, Metro Market, Pick 'n Save, Quality Food Centers (a.k.a. QFC), Ralphs, Food 4 Less, and Smith's Food and Drug."

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
prepilot_3ck wrote:
I don't think we have Meyer's on the west coast, but I think some of the grocery stores have the discounts as well.
There are F Meyers stores on the west coast. Plus they and numerous other brands are all Kroger owned and the fuel points are shared.

We also use Frys (another Kroger store) fuel points near us plus a 5% fuel cash back card for 35 gal purchase.

Bob

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are 36' towing a utility trailer and use regular gas stations almost all the time. We just use an end aisle,end pump. To double check access when traveling, we check prices with gas buddy, then use google maps statelite and street view to look at the station. We stop for the night and look ahead on our route.