cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Replacement

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced their 5.5KW Generac Generator with a cheap aftermarket unit? The space is limited on some National coaches, like mine, they don't make the Generac for it anymore and an Onan won't fit, even if one wanted to spend that much money on an old rig.
I will call the company that Generac sold there RV line to, for just in case, they have some rebuilds that are reasonable.
I'm not home to remove and disassemble it and since a large white cloud of smoke puffed out, just as it lost it's ac output, I'm thinking that it's rotor or stator windings have shorted and blown a hole in them. Whatever it is, it's not something simple for that to have happened. The engine itself still runs good and even if it had broken a belt or something of that nature, it shouldn't have made that kind of smoke.
Anyway, as to the question, I'd like an alternative to be thinking about in lieu of repair, so hopefully I can get some ideas here from the members.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
8 REPLIES 8

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
That happened to me a couple years ago. Total cost of a complete rebuild was $2200. Never again. If something major happens in the future, the generator will be nothing more than a boat anchor.
Otherwise, the GENERAC has worked just fine...and when Sandy hit, our house power went off for 4 days. The generator kept things going on a somewhat limited basis, but we had TV,and the fridge and freezer were just fine.
The thing ran for over 90 hours non-stop. Thanks for the 75 gallon gas tank!

If you find any info about a similar replacement....PM me. I'd like to know.

jupoa5
Explorer
Explorer
My Generac Q-55G, 5.5KW, 120V gas generator runs Ok but leaks oil like a sieve through the bottom crankshaft seal, even when it is not running. I've tried oil additives to no effect. From what I've read. this is not an uncommon problem with this model and the repair involves removing the generator and tearing it down completely. I've decided just to replace it.

I cannot find an exact replacement (which I don't really want anyway) or any other model or brand of the same power that will fit in the same hole. The Generac is 25"L x 18.5"W x 15.75"H. An equivalent Onan, for instance, is 33.6"L x 22.2"W x 16.7H. I might be able to deal with the increased width and height but there is no way I can deal with more than a 25" length.

Part of the reason the Generac unit is smaller is that the muffler is mounted outside of the enclosure. The other is that the newer generators are shrouded with internal cooling blowers to reduce noise.

Has anyone been able to successfully deal with this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
tropical36 wrote:
sailor_lou wrote:
If you can wait to perform the repair, I would remove it and bring the stator and rotor to a motor rewind shop. Usually they can be repaired or rewound for a fraction of the cost of a new one or even new parts. I had an Onan rotor repaired for $40 after an incident with mice and the replacement was around $900 online. Maybe use a portable generator in the meantime. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Motor rewind shop is what I had in mind also, if indeed where the problem lies.
If not cost effective, though, I keep wondering if someone might have installed as large as a 4kw gen set in this small of a space and will check it out, once I see a camping world. In fact I remember a long tread dealing with Chinese gen sets, but can't find it now.
Meanwhile, we're heading north for now, so maybe better with the heat and considering that we don't travel more than 100 - 200 miles a day.
Thanks to each and everyone for the feedback so far.
I am in the same boat you are, I spent a month out west dry camping and my governor on the Genset went out so I couldn't use it. It was cool enough at the higher elevations. But if and when the repair becomes too high I was thinking the same way. The main thing that it gets used for is the micro wave. Only once for AC in 10 years. I spend more time exercising it than it gets used. But I think a 2 or 3k watt replacement would be fine. I will be watching this thread for other opinions.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I have GENERAC 5.5. Four years ago the main oil seal went bad and I had oil all over the thing.
Took it to a shop that does this kind of work and they told me the unit would have to be removed, rebuilt and re-installed. MAJOR work.

Watching them do the work, they used a fork truck to remove the unit and also to put it back in. Then they fixed the problem and that needed a complete tear-down to get TO the seal. $2400. They assured me that after all was said and done I would, for all intents and purposes, have a brand new generator. Well, so far, so good. Cost effective vs a new one? I think so.......

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
sailor_lou wrote:
If you can wait to perform the repair, I would remove it and bring the stator and rotor to a motor rewind shop. Usually they can be repaired or rewound for a fraction of the cost of a new one or even new parts. I had an Onan rotor repaired for $40 after an incident with mice and the replacement was around $900 online. Maybe use a portable generator in the meantime. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Motor rewind shop is what I had in mind also, if indeed where the problem lies.
If not cost effective, though, I keep wondering if someone might have installed as large as a 4kw gen set in this small of a space and will check it out, once I see a camping world. In fact I remember a long tread dealing with Chinese gen sets, but can't find it now.
Meanwhile, we're heading north for now, so maybe better with the heat and considering that we don't travel more than 100 - 200 miles a day.
Thanks to each and everyone for the feedback so far.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
TW Enterprises in Billings Montana are the go to folks for generac generators. Number is 1-800-955-3795.
Might be worth a call for info.

I was told by Camping world I needed a new carb (14 year old Generac) and none were available. Found TW, made a call, and half hour later they were advising me they would have a brand new one sent direct from their supplier so I wouldn't have to pay shipping twice. Also, let me talk to a tech to explain the issue. Tech was very helpful and said to check a couple of other things as he wasn't convinced it was the carb.

He was right and instead of getting replacement (per camping world) for $6,000 got the thing fixed for about $450 (and didn't use the carb).

I have no connection to TW but always like to pass on vendors that offer great service and knowledge. Good Luck....
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Might consider the honda 3000. You can run one air conditioning unit with it and they come remote starters. They hold their value so you can take it with you when the coach goes bye. If it won't fit in the gen bay,
You could also mount it on a trailer hitch rack. Some allow you to still tow.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014