cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator start issue

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Went to turn on generator, Onan 4KW, today to run it for a while. Primed it several times then hit start. The first crank of starter motor sounded like a dead/low battery then it sounded normal. Same thing happened several times since it did not start on first try. What battery is the generator hooked to? Both house and chassis showing good charge voltage (14+V). With no AC battery voltage was about 13V. After running generator for an hour I turned it off waited a few minutes then hit start again. No problem this time. Any ideas??
13 REPLIES 13

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Thanks. Guess I'm gonna have to look that one up.

its what chain saws weed eaters hedge trimmers lawn mowers generators etc have used for years
they even make a hi performance one for onans
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-OUTPUT-CAPACITIVE-DISCHARGE-IGNITION-MODULE-FOR-ONAN-GENERATOR/1617137...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Guess I'm gonna have to look that one up.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
What is a "CDI" ?

capacitive discharge ignition system

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
What is a "CDI" ?

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Just to add....on the same general topic, my generator, if the temp is say, 40F or below simply refuses to start. Spins like a top, but won't fire up.

When warm, (termperaturewise) starts and runs. Any ideas?

Bad CDI they can be temperature sensitive just like a vehicle

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Needs a tune up?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add....on the same general topic, my generator, if the temp is say, 40F or below simply refuses to start. Spins like a top, but won't fire up.

When warm, (termperaturewise) starts and runs. Any ideas?

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Clean your battery terminals as well as the battery grounds - also clean the battery contact/grounds on the generator. Lastly - if you start the RV engine it will place both chassis and coach batteries on-line which will help start the generator.
Kevin

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I have one spade connection on the solenoid that I have to wiggle every so often. I'd replace by now but it is riveted to solenoid. All not bad though. When I have to take off the cover to start, good time to make sure no gas leaks. I've tried die-elec grease, bending it a little, metal paper clip stuck in connection etc. Sometimes I get a big burb out of starter, sometimes nothing, sometimes clicking noise.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI, in case you don't know; You can use your battery boost switch on the dash to give it the extra power needed from a cold start.

It could be wired either way. Some wire the genset to the chassis battery others, like mine, use the house batteries.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds to me like a high resistance (corroded) connection on the genny starter motor.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Two,

We have seen this a lot over the years.
It will turn out to be either a bad battery that recovered after being charged.
Or, it is a bad connection in the starter power circuit. This one is easy a cheap to fix if you do the complete diagnostic.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
two travelers wrote:
Went to turn on generator, Onan 4KW, today to run it for a while. Primed it several times then hit start. The first crank of starter motor sounded like a dead/low battery then it sounded normal. Same thing happened several times since it did not start on first try. What battery is the generator hooked to? Both house and chassis showing good charge voltage (14+V). With no AC battery voltage was about 13V. After running generator for an hour I turned it off waited a few minutes then hit start again. No problem this time. Any ideas??

maybe got a battery going bad seen where voltage with no load reads ok but under load(trying to start gen set) it(battery volts)drops dramatically