cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

genny runtime

sjn7708
Explorer
Explorer
How long can I run my 4k generator and/or roof air continuously without doing any damage. It was just serviced and has 150 hrs
7 REPLIES 7

sjn7708
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx for the info. This is the first time we have had to run it for over 24 hrs. Never even thought about the oil consumption issue

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't already understand rate of oil consumption, I suggest shutting down daily long enough to check oil level. You are probably going to get about three days running with a full tank of gas (if E-450) because of where the auxiliary fuel line taps the tank.

If you are talking weeks at a time, your will be getting into service intervals, requiring longer shutdowns for oil changes and air filter, spark arrestor, spark plug checks.

Mine usually needs oil topped up every couple days, running 6 to 12 hours a day while driving.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
The longest we have run one non stop was for 4 straight days. 96 hours nonstop. No problems. We did open the generator door while we were stopped for additional cooling.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:

Jim, "I left my laptop on the floor last night. When I woke up, I mistook it for the bathroom scales. Turns out I weigh about $850."

Funny! Sounds like something I would do. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

I highly recommend shutting it down every 24 hours and checking/ adding oil.

X2. I'd even go further and suggest the first few couple of checks at 12 hour intervals, just to be sure of the rate of consumption. Remember that it won't run below about 1/4 tank of gas.

Jim, "I left my laptop on the floor last night. When I woke up, I mistook it for the bathroom scales. Turns out I weigh about $850."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yours is air cooled and runs at 3600 RPM. Air cooled engines have looser rings and will burn oil.

We tailgate UF football games so its several hundred RVs running their gensets all weekend non-stop. My 5500 Onan would burn a quart a weekend.

I highly recommend shutting it down every 24 hours and checking/ adding oil.

Over the last 13,years I have put about 15k hours on three gensets.

Normal for tailgaters.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Run it as long as you have fuel for it. They are designed for long run times.

Our A/C usually runs 18 hours per day everyday with some 24 hour runs for several days during heatwaves. You do want to keep from running the A/C if the generator begins to surge due to lack of fuel.

Don't turn on the A/C until the generator is warmed up (couple of minutes) and turn the A/C off before you turn the generator off.