cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting schocked by door/electrical issue urgent

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone currently have a 2018 Minnie winnie 22M. Im currently plugged into an outlet with a 30 to 15 amp adapter.
Heres the issue....I just went to open the door and I can clearly feel electricity running through the metal door handle. Not enough to shock, but you can definitely feel it. You can also feel it on the metal parts of the door hinges. Im freaking out a bit. Can anyone explain what would be causing this? Since Im pretty far from supplies, Im hoping to get an explanation asap!
11 REPLIES 11

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem. Call an electrician and have him check the wiring of your receptacle that the RV cable plugs into, (etc)

If you are standing in water and touching the RV, electrocution is possible. I don't mess with 110vac .

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
These "hockey puck" 15/30 Amps adaptors are a typical source of open grounds.
The round female ground does not make electrical contact with the male counterpart.
Notice in the picture the electrode of the female ground is visible only because it has been crimped to fix the problem.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
So, summarizing the Hot Skin problem:

First, the door is electrically connected to the Chassis AND the Chassis is NOT grounded to the pedestal ground wire.

The outside Hot Skin where the RV is connected to shore power BUT having an open ground allows the RV Chassis (on rubber tires) to float above Earth potential. Due to the capacitance between H and G and the capacitance between G and N the chassis will float at a VAC of about 120/2 = 60 VAC OR LESS to Earth.

The OR LESS is there because there could be capacitive coupling (or a resistive path) between the Chassis and Earth that would tend to reduce the float VAC to EARTH.

If the Chassis to Earth voltage exceeds 60 VAC then there is ALSO a resistive leakage path from Hot To Chassis... DANGER...this is a lot more then a tingle.

When we are inside a properly grounded RV our bodies are likewise floating unless we are touching a conductive path to Chassis Ground. Our floating bodies act as capacitive plates and are exposed to 60Hz Electric Fields. The coupling strength of these EFs to our bodies vary in intensity. They vary in intensity by virtue of the body's proximity to hot wires and the effective area of exposure. At no point is the inside Body to Hot coupling as strong as the inside Body to Chassis coupling so the body floats at relatively low voltages.
For Example: Strange "Hot Skin" Electrical Issue - Getting minor Shocks

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to pick up one of these testers... This will tell you when the SHORE POWER CONNECTION is having a problem...

The RV Trailers get there GROUND CONNECTION from the Shore Power Connection...

Google image

I got mine from LOWES I think it was... You can definitely order one from AMAZON...

Different folks and animals all react to this shocking event differently... Could really be a safety hazard...

Be sure to check your shore power cable connection. One of your pins may be burned badly... This can be caused by worn out connections that some campground pedestal are using...

Google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
When mine was doing that(20v from bumper to wet cement)it was the adapter. You could see where the connection was black on one of the legs.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Do you have one of those little 3 light plug in outlet testers to test for ground continuity and reverse polarity?”

Never ever plugin without checking.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV Hot Skin......read about the condition
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
awesomeman wrote:
Im freaking out a bit. Can anyone explain what would be causing this? Since Im pretty far from supplies, Im hoping to get an explanation asap!
Usually one of two things.

#1 Bad Ground connection. The outlet may have a bad ground connection combined with some appliance that is leaking some power to ground. This would seem less likely with a near new RV.

#2 Reverse Polarity at the outlet. This is where the hot and neutral is reversed where the wires connect to the outlet. If you can remove the outlet... the black or red wire (hot) should be on the brass screw closer to the narrow slot. The white wire (neutral) should be on the shinier steel screw closer to the wide slot.

Campground may have someone to check this. A common 3-light outlet tester will also confirm the condition.

awesomeman
Explorer
Explorer
ok so, the electricity goes away when Im unplugged or running off the generator. Theres probably some issue with the outlet, but can someone please explain how this could happen? Theres literally no wiring in the door?

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
If everything is okay in your RV, and it should be as new as it is, I would suspect the outlet you are plugged into is wired wrong. Do you have one of those little 3 light plug in outlet testers to test for ground continuity and reverse polarity? If not you should get one at a hardware store, they're cheap. Do you own a voltmeter? You can use a voltmeter to check the outlet too.
Can you try another outlet? Can you run a long cord to another outlet just for troubleshooting?
Also, with the RV unplugged, inspect your shore power cord for damage. With the RV plugged in turn off the circuit breakers and see if the sensation goes away. It may be just one circuit in your RV that has a ground fault in it.

KD4UPL is correct. Maybe find an electrical person to help you
Jerry Parr
602-321-8141
K7OU
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If everything is okay in your RV, and it should be as new as it is, I would suspect the outlet you are plugged into is wired wrong. Do you have one of those little 3 light plug in outlet testers to test for ground continuity and reverse polarity? If not you should get one at a hardware store, they're cheap. Do you own a voltmeter? You can use a voltmeter to check the outlet too.
Can you try another outlet? Can you run a long cord to another outlet just for troubleshooting?
Also, with the RV unplugged, inspect your shore power cord for damage. With the RV plugged in turn off the circuit breakers and see if the sensation goes away. It may be just one circuit in your RV that has a ground fault in it.