cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the unit ready for use.

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
I've got all the mechanics lined out on my '89 GMC Class B. Now, I'm looking at getting the camper systems back in use. I don't know how long it was parked or if it was properly winterized when it was. Does anybody have any tips on cleaning the tanks so I don't get odd tastes from the potable water? Getting the water heater and furnace back in use? Anything else I might need to know but don't?

I've got a 6X12 cargo trailer for extended trips so I can carry extra fuel, oil, maybe a small motorcycle but the first time or two out it'll just be a couple of days.

I grub away at work and keep thinking about the RV sitting at home waiting for the turn of the key and hitting the road. I'm hoping the next week or so will see the last freezing temperature.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.
4 REPLIES 4

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
I would also suggest an inline hose water filter for drinking water. I dont have storage tanks, just 1 gallon containers and got one on Amazon, Campco. One that has charcoal will remove odd tastes and smells.

I've got a Brita water pitcher at home to do that. The city has good water but I'm so close to the fresh water treatment plant, I get a lot of chemical smells and tastes. The Brita makes the water taste clean and sweet. I may see if I can find a place to an inline Brita filter assembly in my pipes.

I like your Conversion. Mine is similar, albeit 3 years older. I like being able to stand upright in mine as well as the second floor but it has a serious "WHEEEEEEE" factor on days with strong cross winds. Your lower roof probably doesn't get as "lively" as mine. Maybe someday I'll figure out uploading a picture of my unit.
Honk if you love Jesus.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
I would also suggest an inline hose water filter for drinking water. I dont have storage tanks, just 1 gallon containers and got one on Amazon, Campco. One that has charcoal will remove odd tastes and smells.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Now all I have to do is figure out where everything is hidden. 🙂 I've seen campers and motorhomes before but this puppy as so much crammed into so small an area, I'm still finding things.

I never would have thought about white vinegar. I just use that for killing ants. Once again, thanks.
Honk if you love Jesus.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
You will know if plumbing is ok when filling up tanks and running water. To clean the plumbing system use Clorox for everything except the hot water tank. Put two to four cups of Clorox into the fresh water tank from the top vent overflow it has, by using a small funnel and pour slowly as air will come out as it makes room for the Clorox, remember it is a bleach and you can cover the blow back with a white wash cloth so it does not get on carpets or you. Run the Clorox and water through your plumbing system and let it sit overnight with tank full and lines full except the hot water tank. Flush it a few times until Clorox smell goes away after a day or two. The hot water tank should have a by pass that allows you to shut off the intake from the rest of the water system. The hot water tank/heater is pressurized when full as it has a one way valve in and a pressure release valve on the top. When pressurized and hot it is dangerous to open pressure release valve as you can get burnt, but standing back do open it and release pressure before draining it from the bottom drain plug, that may a plastic plug or a hot rod,(electrical heating element) that is connected by a sleeved screw on electrical connector. With power off disconnect the electrical connection and unscrew the hot rod if present to drain the hot water tank. It has to be cleaned with white Vinegar which is a light acid that will remove the buildup of minerals and any mold. It has to be injected into the tank at the top pressure release valve using a turkey baster with a slow drip, as air will have to come out of tank as it goes in. That is done with the tank empty and the bottom drain plug or hot rod in and the bypass valve closed and water pressure off. then when you have put in about two cups of vinegar close the pressure release valve and open the bypass valve and turn on water pressure to fill tank. It fills with top pressure release valve open and is full when water comes out the top. When it does close the pressure release valve and the water will stop. Let it sit overnight then open the top pressure release valve and then open the bottom drain valve. Crud will come out and then it should flow clean, if really bad redo it a few more times until it flows clean.