cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got yelled at!

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
Last night, I was sitting outside reading quite late - like 1AM. Just couldn't sleep. I had no music, no TV, and a bottle of water. Just nice quiet time with the sounds of late-night nature. The reason I sat outside is that my leg is a bouncer, and it drives my partner crazy.

So, the guy next to us on the DRIVER SIDE SITE comes over and raises holly hell that I am sitting outside this late, and that it is quiet time! He was loud. So, I stood up, took off my glasses and asked him why I was bothering him? He said it was quiet time and everyone is supposed to be in their RV. I told him to go away and call the host if he has a problem with it, and to leave me alone.

This morning, his wife came over to apologize. But, they still moved to another site. I am OK with that. The camp host came by to ask what happened, and I explained. He just rolled his eyes, and said he was sorry to bother me.

So, reading quietly is not allowed, according to this guy? I sit outside late often to read. While it is not normally that late, I am a bit of a night-owl. Thoughts?
98 REPLIES 98

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
#3 on 6 of 6 here
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Road Runners wrote:
The word "paranoia" comes to mind.

BINGO!!
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Off topic, but, when people say how many pages a subject goes on, I'm always much less in page numbers. Right now, this post is number 13 on page three as I get 20 posts per page. Maybe I clicked on some format question early on or something.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:
I chose to treat it as amusing.

I believe he probably did have some form of dementia, or awoke from a really bad dream. He wasn't a senior by any stretch, but more my age...about 50ish.

1) I was under my awning with a table lamp and a 60watt bulb. He was camped on the driver side site...so that is the OTHER SIDE from the awning.
2) I was drinking bottled water. No soda cans were popped.
3)I was out there two hours without getting up once, so no doors were opened.

I find it amusing that people are twisting it around. By page 5, I predict I will be completely at fault, and that I will be branded a bad camper.:p

You were too quite, must have been up to something. 😛
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
Flyfisherman128 wrote:
To me quiet time means turn the stereo down. Once I was outside quietly having a conversation and someone came over and said it was quiet time. My response was " from freedom of speech?" Pretty sure it was meant for partiers. No yelling no stereos no playing musical instruments.

My problem with having a quiet conversation is that I have a voice that carries (frequently referred to as a radio voice) and can easily be disturbing to someone who doesn't want to share in my tales of late night humor or world altering solutions for peace. Usually when I am out in the wee hours I am alone since my camping partners are buried in dreamland, so I have to have my conversations with myself. Mostly I can accomplish that without actually speaking.

IMO the OP handled the situation with the neighbor about as well as he could have. Just because someone is acting irrational, that doesn't mean we have to reduce ourselves to the same level. Kudos to him.

napadan
Explorer
Explorer
They say I snore. But I stayed up one night to see if I snore, and I don't.

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
To me quiet time means turn the stereo down. Once I was outside quietly having a conversation and someone came over and said it was quiet time. My response was " from freedom of speech?" Pretty sure it was meant for partiers. No yelling no stereos no playing musical instruments.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Why do people call this guy names. He could be a jerk or he could have serious metal problems, such as the a fore mentioned dementia. He was wrong but may not be fully aware of himself. The wife may be apologizing because he was being a jerk or because he was ill.

Glad they moved and you were able to regain your time of solace.

Merry
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Kindle - no more LOUD rustling pages :B

For your restless legs, try a B12, the kind that dissolves under your tongue. Or Gatorade. My Mother drinks a cup a day and has no problems since she started, with restless legs or night cramps.

I think you handled it well too. Good for you!
2014 Pleasure-Way Pursuit (B+)

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
It's important to know WHAT you were reading before we can determine your guilt or innocence. 🙂 Biography, novel, fiction, mystery? Maybe it was a loud book with airplanes or something.

On a serious note, Alzheimer's is a terrible disease.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:

My partner thinks it was because he was camped next to two guys. Didn't really think of that, but there is some merit to that line of thinking.

Yup, given the nature of some of the 'adults' we see out here, wouldn't surprise me one bit. He got up to pee, looked out his window to see if anyone else was still up, saw a light from the area around your coach, and had to go investigate because......

His wife's embarrassment tells you everything you need to know.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

NMace
Explorer
Explorer
Since I was a child I have not slept more than 5 hours a night, so I am often up, moving around at 3 - 4 am, much to the consternation of authorities; my parents, hotel staff, security officers, neighbors, even police, all thinking no one has a innocent reason to be awake. So I am accustomed to being approached and just act nice.

As suggested, in this case I agree with Alzheimer's as the cause of his unreasonableness.
2002 Silverado 6L 1500 HD 4x4 Crew Cab
2011 Puma 295 KBHSS

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
On the snoreing thing, if you have sleep apena, you probably will swear that you do not snore, while others say you do. Believe it or not, you can't hear yourself snore, because you are asleep!! The point to say is that sleep apnea is a SERIOUS problem, and can cause you to die, or get you killed if you fall asleep at the wrong time. Please do not ignore this, and if others say you snore, believe them!! Solutions are simple, and can save your and others life. BTW, I can and will sit up outside all night if I want to. Quite hours mean quite, not locked inside!

My wife can hear herself because she often wakes herself up snoring and blames me for it. So she can hear, but doesn't realize where it is coming from.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Well you made it to page 5 and its still not your fault, at least to most of us.

I think you handled it well and have a good idea what is wrong with the jerk.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:

LOL Too funny. I am going to leave out the fact that I received 5 PM's about why I shouldn't have been outside at 1am...all from just 2 posters. WOW...lol

No fair if you don't share! No need to identify the....what- "advisors"?- by name, of course. :@
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien