cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gulf Shores Alabama any suggestions?

Tweeter
Explorer
Explorer
Headed to Gulf Shores Alabama for short trip - going to stay at State Park - any suggestions for restaurants, places to visit, etc? Leaving Texarkana Ark to Gulf Shores - anything in between of interest? Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚
9 REPLIES 9

GWilson
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Gulf Shores two-three times a year. As others have mentioned:
1. Lulus
2. Desoto's noon meal specials
3. McGuire's in Pensacola (do not get the liverwurst sandwich with free beer - server tried to warn us.....).
GW
2000 Ford 250 Crewcab Powerstoke
1998 Cardinal 28RKB
1974 Catalina 22 Sailboat

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
littlemo wrote:
We also, are headed that way in a couple of weeks. We are going to be at Fort Pickens for a week then go on down to St Andrews State Park in Panama City for a second week. We normally go through Vicksburg but we are going to stop one night in New Orleans so we can go down to the French Quarter to eat a couple of meals. Gotta have some Beignets and Black Coffee from
Cafรฉ Dumonde

Have fun!

Do you mind if I offer a suggestion? Beignets at Cafe Beignets on Royal, in the Quarter...kick Dumonde's to the curb.

Gary Haupt

Thanks, Gary. I'll have to check this out!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
littlemo wrote:
We also, are headed that way in a couple of weeks. We are going to be at Fort Pickens for a week then go on down to St Andrews State Park in Panama City for a second week. We normally go through Vicksburg but we are going to stop one night in New Orleans so we can go down to the French Quarter to eat a couple of meals. Gotta have some Beignets and Black Coffee from
Cafรฉ Dumonde

Have fun!

Do you mind if I offer a suggestion? Beignets at Cafe Beignets on Royal, in the Quarter...kick Dumonde's to the curb.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

littlemo
Explorer
Explorer
Cafรฉ Dumonde

As another poster mentioned, it would be worth your while to drive 35 miles to Pensacola to the Naval Aviation Museum It is free and you might get to see the Blue Angels practice and that is awesome. They had a practice day last year when we were there. If you go to Pensacola and go over to the Island make sure you eat at Peg Leg Petes.

Make sure to drive through Fairhope, Alabama just south of Mobile on your way to Gulf Shores. It is a neat little town with lots of shops and drive down to the marina and see all the boats in the Bay.

Have fun!

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
I disagree on the statement about "Lambert's", I thought it was a neat outing and here check the menu.....http://www.throwedrolls.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Foley.
Maybe I like the carnival atmosphere and that is why I married a lady from South West Virginia. It is located right next to the Outlet Malls and also CiCi's Pizza. Anyway enjoy your vacation.
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Having just returned...Triggers, just over the Florida border, for the deep fried cheesecake. Other than that...meh. As has been mentioned..lackluster chains. And a Waffle House every block. Sometimes two.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

alazero
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't call a trip to Gulf Shores complete without a trip to Tacky Jacks in Orange Beach. Order the Fried fish, It is sway. The best I have ever eaten. We trip to it four times a year.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We really like Gulf Shores and love the SP. We have never found any restaurants there to "write home about". We have found some good ones, but nothing great.

Lots of people talk about Lambert's and their "throwed rolls". I didn't get it. Food was lackluster, atmosphere was carnival-like.

We have eaten at Hazel's, Doc's Seafood House, Original Oyster House, King Neptune's and Lulu's. I will say that the food at Lulu's was pretty good and the entertainment couldn't be beat. (We were there one evening and Jimmy Buffet, Lulu's brother, came in and did an impromptu show!)

It's a great area, but other areas have much better restaurants.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
We just came from there..and it is a regular stop for us. Sorry to say...but most are standard fare tourist places. We have never found a great restaurant there. I would say the Cafe Grazie is an above average Italian on the water at a marina. Lucy Buffetts is a fun spot on the intercoastal. The go to local seafood place is Shrimp shack...a chain. The VERY best soft serve ice cream is at Shakes in Foley...not a bad ride from Gulf Shores SP. If you are going there for the hangout festival...hang on to your hat!

Great bicycle trails, all paved. Hopefully, others will chime in.

On edit...McGuires Irish pub in Pensacola is a great choice...as is the Naval aviation museum in Pensacola. Or a Blue Marlins baseball game in Pensacola.

If I wasn't so lazy, I would try the Flo-Bama bar/yacht club on the state line. Could be a fun spot.

Depending on your preferences, they have great lake front sites oin the park...and I have to say that almost every site is a good one. It's a very good state park!
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W