cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI cable from front to bedroom

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I need to run a HDMI cable from the TV area (above the dash) to the TV in the bedroom. I'm thinking about going through the overhead A/C duct work. The duct work (from the A/C unit) goes up the drivers side towards the front of the RV but the duct work to the rear goes back the passenger side. I guess I'll have to take the roof cover off the A/C unit to get the cable from one sides duct work to the other. Correct? Is there a better way to run the cable?
27 REPLIES 27

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran an HDMI cable through my duct work and it works just fine. I have a duct running the length of the coach on both sides however. I would assume you could cross over at the A/C unit if you need to.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I ran mine from the TV cabinet down in the wall, dropped into the storage bay to the front of the coach, out for several feet around the front generator and suspension, back in and up a side pillar. Sounds easy doesn't it?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I just re-read OP, source is a laptop - check to see if it already has "Intel Wireless Display" aka "WiDi" aka "Miracast" built in. That's 1/2 of your wireless hdmi solution, the other half being a WiDi receiver.

WiDi will not interfere with your other outputs, it can clone the main display or create its own display... pretty cool stuff actually.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
sch911 wrote:
This is what I use: IO Gear Wireless HDMI

Not cheap, works perfectly, and a whole heck of allot easier to install.

X2 Works! great no wires!, but 150+ bucks found online. I found the cheaper wireless solutions don't work well at all.
Over 30' of HDMI doesnt work well either BUT as already written Using cat5 cable with a adapter on ea end ( Baelens ) can go hundreds of feet.
Bill

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I use: IO Gear Wireless HDMI

Not cheap, works perfectly, and a whole heck of allot easier to install.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Consider this option:

HDMI to Cat6 converter

Adapter box that converts hdmi to inexpensive network cable, and then back again. Uses two pieces of cable, which you can get at best buy super cheap. At nearly 200 ft it should cover anything in an RV 🙂
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I'm doing the same thing as far as using the computer for entertainment, unfortunately so far I have only been able to use the switch box (the one with all of the buttons on it so that the antenna signal and DVD signal can be sent to other TV's), and it used the RCA (red/white/yellow) connectors. I'm using an HDMI to RCA adapter currently but yes the picture is not HD on the back TV. Not sure if you have this option though. Just an idea. The long HDMI cable would be more ideal.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Got it!
I looked into long hdmi cables for home once and found a few
The connectors on the end make them hard to pull
Good luck!

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
If you TV in the bedroom is small, regular coax will give a reasonable picture
Just a thought

I'm hooking it up to a laptop that's on the dash and splitting the HDMI between both TV's. Controlling it with a bluetooth keyboard. ! TB external drive on home WIFI so I can transfer videos to it to watch at campgrounds. That way I don't have to watch Gunsmoke in the bedroom.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
If you TV in the bedroom is small, regular coax will give a reasonable picture
Just a thought

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my FIFTH WHEEL I was able to pull down each of the Air Conditioner ceiling vents and pull some wiring from vent to vent (every six feet or so) from one end of the trailer to the other. I used the spray foam to seal-up any holes I had to make getting in and out of the cut-in a/c ducts.

Usually on both end you will have ceiling cabinets installed where you can retrieve your cables and route to where they need to go on both end behind the thin walls.

Being a HAM RADIO guy I ran several RG type cables down the air conditioner cut in ceiling ducts...

The other route is under the trailer which has a closed membrane that has to be removed first.

I guess you could consider BLUE TOOTH as well

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter

You're link isn't working.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
Is there a better way to run the cable?

Wireless HDMI
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs