cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help! !30 amp main, shuts off on shore power.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I was just at the Colorado River, extreme heat. Plugged into 30 amp shore power, both a/c running and it would trip my main breaker inside the coach. Also running 1 a/c and the microwave it would trip the breaker.

As a work around I ran 1 a/c all day (97F inside) and would run the gen whenever I ran the micro and then at night I ran the gen to cool it down(to run both a/c) until I went to bed. then shut off 1 a/c and back to shore power.

I have an Intellitec ECC, could it be bad or bad power from the pedestal? I know every time the breaker would cut out I would have to turn off power at the pedestal before the breaker would go back on.

What and how do I check? Thanks!
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater
18 REPLIES 18

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You said you had 1 AC on and the microwave. A full size microwave will draw the same as the AC. I did run 2 ACs on my '96 Pace Arrow with no problem. When you run the generator it is probably 5KW or that area so you are producing enough power but your ATS has eliminated the plugged in circuit for any power. You can only draw power from one or the other and the RV will default to the generator. Low voltage at the power pole sounds like the likely culprit.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blackdiamond wrote:
I have an Intellitec ECC, could it be bad or bad power from the pedestal? I know every time the breaker would cut out I would have to turn off power at the pedestal before the breaker would go back on.

Well, I'm sorry to say the answer is YES.. I know, don't help does it.

You need to monitor current (The ECC should display on 30 amps) Theory has it that a 30 amp breaker should trip at around 27 amps or more sustained should hold at less. the ECC is designed to hold you down below 27 amps...

So either the ECC is not doing it's job, or the Breaker is overdoing it's job.. I have seen the latter happen (Do not have an ECC so have never seen, personally the first but have read about it).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
Water heater was not on, water was already too hot coming out. Fridge was on electric.

I will check the connections. and see if that is the problem.

One thought I had.....I put in a inverter/3-stage charger and the charger can draw up to 40 amps but the batteries were full so it should have been drawing 5 amps, is that something I should check out?

Do you mean it puts out 40 amps? If it draws 40 amps AC, then that is the problem. As mention above, a clamp on amp meter will help pinpoint the problem.
Wildmanbaker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
A clamp-on ammeter is what you need to verify what circuits are drawing what power.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Water heater was not on, water was already too hot coming out. Fridge was on electric.

I will check the connections. and see if that is the problem.

One thought I had.....I put in a inverter/3-stage charger and the charger can draw up to 40 amps but the batteries were full so it should have been drawing 5 amps, is that something I should check out?
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Fleetwood product, and should be able to operate everything on 30 amp service. The breakers do not trip on low voltage, but high current draw, which causes more heat. If the supply voltage is above 115 volts, then I would suspect that the main breaker is getting week and should be replaced. As mentioned above, check breaker connections, and main feed tie in for tightness, as this will cause excess current draw. We have run ours on 30 amps in 104 degree weather for 5 days before with no problems.
Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Check the breaker screws. They have been known to loosen and cause excessive heat at the breaker.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I am running both ac's as I type this. The disbelievers can see that my rig is a 30 amp setup. If we turn on the microwave, then the ECC will shed one ac until it gets enough to restart. Check to see if your Intellitec sheds properly while on generator power. If all is well when you run the generator then I would tend to feel that your trouble has to be on the shore power side. My Progressive EMS will usually record any anomaly that would cause problems. Yours is one I haven't experienced.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
you can but a neat little volt meter that plugs into an outlet. I have mine in the kitchen. always there to read. camping world has em
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get yourself a kill-a-watt meter. That will allow you to monitor the voltage. Kill-a-watt

For now keep on running the generator.

Low voltage kills air conditioners. The damage is cumulative and you won't know it is even happening.

You may want to consider adding an autoformer to your arsenal

http://hughesautoformers.com/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
No, don't know what the real power that was coming from the pedestal.
But you can with a voltmeter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replys so far. 5 people in the RV so can't really delegate the a/c in certain area.

No, don't know what the real power that was coming from the pedestal.

Yes it has EMS to allow running both a/c at same time and supposed to shed power off one or the other if needed to manage the current.
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2 airs in a 30a coach? Don't see that every day.

With everyone running air, voltage drops, breakers break.

our previous MH, a 30-amp 2000 Itasca Suncruiser, had an EMS that allowed both air conditioners to run on 30-amps. worked well.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle