cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help determining if I can get a motorhome into my driveway

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
This will be difficult to answer without seeing, but looking for some advice as to whether anyone thinks this will be an issue for me (see pic below). I currently have a 40' fifth wheel and F-250 SuperDuty truck. I can back into my driveway -- but it is very tricky...with exactly one way in. Mess it up even slightly and it results in a do-over. There are several obstacles that include: a curb opposite my driveway, fire hydrant opposite driveway so can't swing front end of truck over the curb or they will make contact, utility pole at corner of driveway that my fiver bumper will hit if it doesn't swing early enough to avoid. And of course there is the apron entrance to the driveway and mailbox. I have two friends that drive a truck...and the only way I was able to get the rig in the driveway when I brought it home was on their advice on how to set up properly.

My wife and I fell in love with a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA this past weekend...and are seriously considering trading our fiver in on it. But we are concerned if we will get the camper in the driveway -- either by backing or pulling in. I did note on my test drive of the Tiffin that I didn't have to swing nearly as wide for turns as I do with my truck and fiver...but having very little motorhome experience is leaving me with this big question. Closest dealer is 2 hours away...so not really possible to bring it home and try. Any words of wisdom here? Thanks.

88 REPLIES 88

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me that you could do it. Might need a bit of practice! You could widen the approach by replacing the corner of the lawn with this. We park our motorhome on it with no problems. It's been in place for 20 years with no sinking. Prep is critical: a minimum of a foot of compacted road base, 4 inches of compacted sand and a small poured concrete edge (below grade) to hold it in place. Looks quite nice. Just tell the ladies not to walk on it in heels! ๐Ÿ™‚

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
First off....I'm guessing I could turn my 40' DP into that driveway and make it. If your new coach can't, move the mailbox over a few feet, and throw a piece of plywood down on the corner (over the grass) and back in over the curb.

I wish mine were that easy to access!

Those were my exact thoughts!!! I've found backing my motorhome is a lot easier than backing my truck and trailer ever were.

I'm a bit surprised they will let you store it by your house seeing as how picky they are.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Tell the rv dealer that if you can back it in your driveway you'll buy it, then try it. drive up the street and pull into the cultisac,and back up with you looking back at the mailbox.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should be able to do it without getting off the pavement. Worse case is you pull forward and hard right if you are about to hit the pole.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
DazedNConfused,

I would think with a 35' motorhome you should be able to do it no problem. Remember your fiver is 5' longer to begin with than the motorhome you're considering, plus you then have to add the length of your truck.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't move your mailbox already to make life easier. When we bought our motorhome, I had a similar concern as the mailbox was close to the driveway. So, to eliminate any "oops" moments, I moved it over about 10' before we even took delivery of the motorhome. Glad I did as there have been a few instances where we came home in the rig while the neighbors had a party with cars parked in the street.

I agree with those who said to take it out for an additional test drive to see. If you can't do that, rent the largest U-Haul/Ryder truck you can near 35' in length and practice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Luck,

~Rick

You know, Rick...that's a really good point. When we brought the rig home the day we took delivery, I just couldn't get it in the driveway. Just didn't have the experience. Went from a small popup to this. It was my buddies that I mentioned in my original post (truck drivers) who came over and helped me. After that, it really just meant setting up properly. If we set up properly, it goes in every time. If we don't, we pull forward and try again. So I guess knowing it was possible just kept me from moving the mailbox...but it would have made things easier. According to all the input I've received here, and I do sincerely thank everyone, this shouldn't be a problem for me. If not, I'll leave the mailbox alone.

Regards,
Rob

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Rick Jay wrote:
DazedNConfused wrote:
My wife is my eyes as I back into the driveway. We make a very good team with this.

You are a blessed man! Sometimes, this process is the best entertainment in the campground! LOL :B

It took some practice...and some patience. Men and women approach things very differently. I just had to adapt to her interpretation of everything. Once I figured out her way of doing things, it became very easy. The funniest thing to me, though, was when backing in at CG this one time when we had no cell signals (we use the cell phones to stay in communication as backing in) and the portable family radios weren't charged...so we had to rely on hand signals. Try as I might to explain to her that if she cannot see my face in my side mirrors, I cannot see her, she just didn't get it. As the trailer was swinging, she needed to move with it and keep my face in focus. Got frustrating...and then I just started laughing and kept getting in and out of the truck to spot the obstacles myself until we were straight. She's a good egg...with a very good understanding of how all this stuff works. She can fully set the camper up if needed...and really only would need help opening the jaws of the hitch -- which can be tricky if you have any pressure fore or aft on the jaws. I have witnessed the entertainment first hand that you speak of with other couples at CGs. Fortunately that seldom happens with us. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
DazedNConfused wrote:
My wife is my eyes as I back into the driveway. We make a very good team with this.

You are a blessed man! Sometimes, this process is the best entertainment in the campground! LOL :B
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
DazedNConfused,

I would think with a 35' motorhome you should be able to do it no problem. Remember your fiver is 5' longer to begin with than the motorhome you're considering, plus you then have to add the length of your truck.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't move your mailbox already to make life easier. When we bought our motorhome, I had a similar concern as the mailbox was close to the driveway. So, to eliminate any "oops" moments, I moved it over about 10' before we even took delivery of the motorhome. Glad I did as there have been a few instances where we came home in the rig while the neighbors had a party with cars parked in the street.

I agree with those who said to take it out for an additional test drive to see. If you can't do that, rent the largest U-Haul/Ryder truck you can near 35' in length and practice. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
dmcgiffin wrote:
we recently traded our 38' fifth wheel for a 38' motor home. My RV pad is to the side of the garage. I would have to start backing up driveway then swing fifth wheel to get onto RV pad. While it was tricky and sometimes take a couple of tries to get onto the pad, I always made it. Since getting the MH it is such a piece of cake....if you can back your truck just using your side mirrors then backing the MH will be just as easy.

Thanks. Yes...I am very comfortable backing my current rig -- all combined 54' of truck and trailer -- into my driveway. Been doing it for two seasons so know how to set up and if I don't get my tires right up against the curb, when I do the big swing, the back end will contact the utility pole. This has never happened, mind you. My wife is my eyes as I back into the driveway. We make a very good team with this. As for my truck, I have those big wonderful Ford mirrors...and a backup camera. I can back that thing into the tightest of spots with just inches of clearance on each side. I'm hoping with the big Tiffin mirrors and backup camera, this will go just as smooth. My driveway is very flat with a typical apron that is no more steep than average...so I'll make an assumption that the back end of the Tiffin/hitch will not scrape as I back in...but remains to be seen.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll keep y'all posted.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't see your pictures, but based on what everyone is saying about it, and what you presently have, I'm going to have to agree with what the majority are saying - You are not going to have a problem here at all, and will probably find it is easier to get a 35' MH in than your 5th wheel and truck.

I towed a 34' TT with a Ford Excursion for years, before we moved up a few years ago to a MH the same size as what you're considering (see signature). I have found that the MH is actually quite a bit easier to back into tight places than the TT was. Not being articulated in the middle makes backing much more simple, or at least it does for me. Also, the huge mirrors and backup camera the MH has also makes backing much easier. It allows you to see much better just how close you are to various things back there.

IMO, I'd be more concerned about the rear overhang of the MH (although again, without being able to see your picture, kinda tough to say if that will be an issue). Rear overhang is one thing I've had to be more cautious about with a MH. Most MHs have a pretty long overhang past the rear axle, which can cause the back of the MH to scrape and drag when negotiating steep inclines. Especially if/when you have a tow bar attached to the back as well.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

dmcgiffin
Explorer
Explorer
we recently traded our 38' fifth wheel for a 38' motor home. My RV pad is to the side of the garage. I would have to start backing up driveway then swing fifth wheel to get onto RV pad. While it was tricky and sometimes take a couple of tries to get onto the pad, I always made it. Since getting the MH it is such a piece of cake....if you can back your truck just using your side mirrors then backing the MH will be just as easy.
Doug and Cathy
2005 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme 37'
Tow Dolly with 2012 Chevy Malibu

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a piece of cake.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

guardrail53
Explorer
Explorer
You will be able to back just about any MH into that driveway! You said the street was 26' from the end of your driveway to the opposite curb? Ok, you have 20' wheelbase, so that gives you 6 ', (3' if your front overhang is 3') extra from the rear wheel starting in your driveway to the front of your MH! So even if you have to pull up, which you will most certainly not have to do, you have 3' to do it in! Your driveway is 18 ' wide, your MH is 8'6" wide, at the most, but probably a little narrower. So if you hug the curb either way, you will not have to back over it and have plenty of room! If you have 35' MH, wheelbase is 20' front overhang is 3', that leaves 12' rear overhang, with 18' of driveway? Gives you 6', Damn, you can back it in there in your sleep!! And, to make this all a little easyer, take a red folgers can (plastic now) and put it at the end of the curb to give you something to go buy, back up so your rear wheels just miss the curb and the can, and cut it in! Stop and get out and look a couple of times, to make yourself sure! After a few times you will lose the can! Hope this helps! Rail!
1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32', 454 FI, 4 sp. auto.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
I had a Montana 5th wheel pulled by a Chevy 3500 D/A dually. The Montana was hard but doable. With the MH, tried boards under the rear wheels, various angles, nothing worked. After trying numerous times on two occasions, gave up. The back end (DP) is too low, it hits, and even the front end (generator) hit coming out. Now we leave it in storage and make a couple of trips to load it...and unload when coming home.

You're not talking about clearance on the sides like the OP, you're talking about dragging the motorhome on the ground because of a steep driveway aren't you? Two different issues.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I would approach from the right of the picture very close to the curb on the right side of the MH and stop the rear wheel at the curb intersection of driveway and street curb. (The MH will pivot at the rear wheel) Turn the steering wheels hard to the right before moving backward and it will go right in.

The overhand is not long enough to teach across the 18' drive to his the mailbox if the MH is kept close to the driveway edge on the right side while backing. The MH is not long enough to have a problem with the fire hydrant on the opposite side of the 26' street.

Do the math. AGAIN...the MH will pivot at the rear wheel.

This makes good sense. Thanks for the input.