cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help determining if I can get a motorhome into my driveway

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
This will be difficult to answer without seeing, but looking for some advice as to whether anyone thinks this will be an issue for me (see pic below). I currently have a 40' fifth wheel and F-250 SuperDuty truck. I can back into my driveway -- but it is very tricky...with exactly one way in. Mess it up even slightly and it results in a do-over. There are several obstacles that include: a curb opposite my driveway, fire hydrant opposite driveway so can't swing front end of truck over the curb or they will make contact, utility pole at corner of driveway that my fiver bumper will hit if it doesn't swing early enough to avoid. And of course there is the apron entrance to the driveway and mailbox. I have two friends that drive a truck...and the only way I was able to get the rig in the driveway when I brought it home was on their advice on how to set up properly.

My wife and I fell in love with a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA this past weekend...and are seriously considering trading our fiver in on it. But we are concerned if we will get the camper in the driveway -- either by backing or pulling in. I did note on my test drive of the Tiffin that I didn't have to swing nearly as wide for turns as I do with my truck and fiver...but having very little motorhome experience is leaving me with this big question. Closest dealer is 2 hours away...so not really possible to bring it home and try. Any words of wisdom here? Thanks.

88 REPLIES 88

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
zman-az wrote:
Is the RV you are buying local? If so you can bring it to your home to see if it fits.

Unfortunately, no - dealer is two hours away.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
Is the RV you are buying local? If so you can bring it to your home to see if it fits.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just pull into the cul de sac, back it in and park it on the front lawn....easy..:W...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would find out the inside and outside turning radius and draw those to scale on a site plan. Should be real easy to find out if it will make it. In all the site plans I prepare, the turning radius is always used.

redguard
Explorer
Explorer
DazedNConfused wrote:
This will be difficult to answer without seeing, but looking for some advice as to whether anyone thinks this will be an issue for me (see pic below). I currently have a 40' fifth wheel and F-250 SuperDuty truck. I can back into my driveway -- but it is very tricky...with exactly one way in. Mess it up even slightly and it results in a do-over. There are several obstacles that include: a curb opposite my driveway, fire hydrant opposite driveway so can't swing front end of truck over the curb or they will make contact, utility pole at corner of driveway that my fiver bumper will hit if it doesn't swing early enough to avoid. And of course there is the apron entrance to the driveway and mailbox. I have two friends that drive a truck...and the only way I was able to get the rig in the driveway when I brought it home was on their advice on how to set up properly.

My wife and I fell in love with a Tiffin Allegro 35QBA this past weekend...and are seriously considering trading our fiver in on it. But we are concerned if we will get the camper in the driveway -- either by backing or pulling in. I did note on my test drive of the Tiffin that I didn't have to swing nearly as wide for turns as I do with my truck and fiver...but having very little motorhome experience is leaving me with this big question. Closest dealer is 2 hours away...so not really possible to bring it home and try. Any words of wisdom here? Thanks.

unless I missed something ? you should have no trouble backing into your driveway

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
old guy wrote:
I have to remind you that MH's do not bend in the middle like trucks and 5th wheels do.

So you're saying a Super Duty Ford Truck with a 40 foot fifth wheel, can get into a tighter spot than a 35 foot motorhome because the truck and trailer (probably 55 to 60 foot overall length) bends in the middle?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
DazedNConfused wrote:
I cannot widen my driveway because it is already 18' wide...and town ordinance states that is maximum. I did give some thought into filling in a triangular area of the grass with concrete that borders the street and edge of my driveway....and moving my mailbox. And then using a portable ramp to allow the driver's side of the coach to ride up the ramp. I actually gave some thought to that recently when I wanted to widen the driveway for getting the fiver in...but was denied approval by the town. Just wondering if motorhomes can swing tighter or not. Without a pivot point in the middle, it doesn't seem it would...but the overall length is shorter than my current setup which is 54' long form front of truck to back of fiver.

Yes motorhomes can turn tighter. The pivot point in the middle is only an advantage if the trailer is shorter than a motorhome. In your case you're going from a 40' trailer (which doesn't pivot in the middle of that 40') to a 35 foot motorhome. Like I said in the other post, you'll find it's a piece of cake. I have a 35 foot motorhome and a similar parking situation at my house and I get mine in no problem. Right now I keep my motorhome in my shop which has a 12' wide door. I have 45 feet of clearance in front of the door and since it's a 12' door I have to have the motorhome perpendicular to the door to put it inside. So I basically have to turn a 35 foot motorhome completely 90 degrees in a space only 10 foot longer than the motorhome. It is surprisingly easy to do. I maybe have to shift from D to R about four times in the process to line it up.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Use some of these if you have the need to drive across a grassy area. But I see no problem.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to swing a 747 in there if you had to. Maybe move the mailbox. Curbs are for cars. They don't bother the RV much. If you have to go up over it on occasion it won't matter. I've found that the grass forgives the occasional off-roading excursion pretty quickly. Like someone else said, campgrounds are much more challenging.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had to read this twice because I original misunderstood the question. You have a 40 foot 5th wheel that you can get in there, but it's difficult, and you are worried about getting a 35 foot Class A in the same spot? The answer to your question is it will be a piece of cake! With that 40 foot 5th wheel you have that big truck hanging out the front. You won't have that with the Class A. It will be a piece of cake getting it in there. Just watch the tail swing on that power pole. You will be able to see the pole the entire time either in your backup camera or your mirror.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
John Wayne wrote:
Go rent a 35 ft. truck from u-haul for an hour and try it. Have any camping friends with MH. have them come over and try it.Have any MH's in the area that you can see parked in there driveways. Talk to the owner and have him try it with his MH

This is actually a really good idea. Thank you.

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
I submit that if you cannot back the MH into that driveway without hitting something then MAYBE you should not be driving that rig. Not being snarky just saying with a 16 foot wide drive and at least 16 foot of roadway should be easy peasy and you should have no trouble at all specially if you moved/take down the mailbox. The wheel base is what about 30 foot? The overhang on the rear would be what hits the mailbox so if you move it, then Stevie Wonder would be able to back the rig in without to much help

Didn't take it as snarky. I just don't know what I don't know...and is why I asked. I know what it takes to get my fiver in...and am very good at backing it in. Just no experience with the motorhome.

And yes...to the question above...I believe the F53 24,000 GVWR chassis has a 20-foot wheelbase.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go rent a 35 ft. truck from u-haul for an hour and try it. Have any camping friends with MH. have them come over and try it.Have any MH's in the area that you can see parked in there driveways. Talk to the owner and have him try it with his MH
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are ok by looking at the pic. I would try driving past your house close as possible to curb cutting wheel all the way to the right. This way when the front starts to swing to the left you are going to have a great view of the fire hydrant out of your windshield and the mailbox in the side mirror. With a little practice and trial and error you will know were your rear tires need to be.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I submit that if you cannot back the MH into that driveway without hitting something then MAYBE you should not be driving that rig. Not being snarky just saying with a 16 foot wide drive and at least 16 foot of roadway should be easy peasy and you should have no trouble at all specially if you moved/take down the mailbox. The wheel base is what about 30 foot? The overhang on the rear would be what hits the mailbox so if you move it, then Stevie Wonder would be able to back the rig in without to much help
Traveling with my best friend my wife!