cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help, need ig. timing specs 1994 FI 460 Ford V8

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
On my way back to Texas from Port Angeles, WA last fall the fuel injected 460 Ford V8 in my 1994 Class A Holiday Rambler developed a noisy lifter. After returning to Texas, and at the urging of several friends, I tried silencing the noisy lifter by adding a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to my crankcase. Surprisingly, it actually helped. However, the noise is still there and I think I may have damaged the pushrod from driving approximately 1,000 miles on the noisy lifter. Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and replace all the engines hydraulic lifters. Itโ€™s a big enough job that I feel itโ€™d be foolish to simply replace the failed lifter.

I could use some technical knowledge from those whoโ€™ve worked on early fuel injected 460 Ford V8โ€™s. Yesterday afternoon I embarked on a hydraulic lifter replacement project on my RVโ€™s engine. Unfortunately, Iโ€™ll have to remove my engines distributer to ultimately replace the hydraulic lifters. Though I intend to thoroughly mark everything up (I use Whiteout for that task) so that I can put the distributer back in just as I took it out, Iโ€™d like to also be able to set the ignition timing dynamically with my timing light. My Chiltonโ€™s manual refers to an under-hood sticker. This information would be useful if my rig were a Class C and not a Class A (in other words there is no under-hood sticker on my Class A to refer to). Would anyone out there have the ignition timing specs for a fuel injected 1994 Ford 460 V8 with the TFI-IV distributer system.

Steve
3 REPLIES 3

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, if you can, check the height of the valves when they are closed, see if any are higher than the others.
The ol carbed 460s were bad for burning out the valve seats, those that the seats machined right into the cast iron part of the head & then induction hardened only in that area.
The new model FI engines suppose to have hardened valve seat inserts, but you still could maybe have a burned seat gone bad.
When this happens,(receding valve seat)as its called, the valve recedes up into the head & then you'll loose valve clearance, but in the case of the 460, theres no valve adjustments at the rockers & the hydraulic lifter is the only thing allowing the valve to seat.
Once the valve recedes enough, in some cases it will be enough that a valve or valves can not close completely.
So check the height on those valve stems & see if any seats may be burned out.

The ol carbed 460 GBM I had, I finely had to have carbide valve seats installed on the exhaust side. Once done, didnt have any valve problems.

Two other things, since the 460 has no rocket arm adjusments for the vavles, you can buy some different thickness shim to put under the rocker arm post to give that lifter a little relief. Summit Racing has those shims in case you might need some.

If you need some good indepth info on a 460 big block Ford engine, go to http://www.460ford.com now them boys over there love a 460 & got a lot to tell about them.
Neil

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, thanks for the help.
Steve

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Static timing on your 460 is 10BTDC. You will need to pull the spout plug, located below the ignition module (TFI) on the left (drivers side) fire wall. If you don't pull the spout plug, the computer will have control of the timing and you will set it wrong.

Richard
95 Bounder F53 460.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson