Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help-Unusual amount of rust on chassis-looking to buy

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I am confused and need some advice and guidance, sorry for the long post. I recently put a deposit (refundable) on a sight unseen 2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator. The dealer said it was in exceptionally good condition. This unit was being traded in for a new coach and the dealer did not get it in until last week. Saturday my wife and I went to inspect the coach before giving the approval to buy.

The house part of the coach and the exterior painted surfaces were in great condition, just as the dealer said. However when I crawled under the coach to inspect the chassis and related parts there was an unusual amount of rust and corrosion. In addition, when I opened the doors to the service bays there were lots of rust on the pistons that hold upon the doors. The supports for the generator are also rusty. I poked around at the metal and welds and everything did seem structurally sound. The exhaust from the generator looked like metal that has been sitting in salt water for 2 years, if you know what that looks like. The gen only had 96 hours so this was not from a lot of use. In comparison to other similar and older coaches I have inspected, this one had so much more rust than anything else I have seen.

I live in northern Vermont and if you are familiar with northern winters the chassis looks similar to cars that has been driven for 8 years in the salty winter roads of Vermont.

Here is the history of the coach, the owners are from Nebraska and it wintered at Lake Havasu, AZ and summers in Nebraska. When not being used it was stored in a barn, may have been on a dirt floor.

I went to see the coach hoping to love it but now have some reservations as to if I should go forward or walk. I do not want to make a mountain out of a mole hill but also do not want to buy something that I will regret.

Thanks so much for your input,

Stuart
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
20 REPLIES 20

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
That rust didn't come from Arizona and not from Nebraska either unless it was driven on roads where they used salt or caustic material on the roads in the winter.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
MY BUDDY OWNS A USED CAR LOT, CARS AND THINGS THAT SIT IN THE YARD LOOK GREAT ON TOP BUT THE UNDER SIDE SOAKS UP MOISTURE AND EATS THEM UP. HE HAD A 1999 TRUCK SAT IN THE GUYS YARD UNDER A METAL OVER HANG. SHORT STORY ALL THE BRAKE LINES ETC HAD TO BE CHANGED.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any storms that have caused flooding in parts of the USA could have caused a problem. CarFax is questionable as to whether or not it will give you a straight answer. I had a vehicle totaled and it sold a month later with a clean Carfax by the dealer that repaired it. Carfax info requires someone reporting to them. No report, no info. There is a HUGE incentive for dealers NOT to report damage to Carfax and cut the value of their vehicle.
If the rust is more than you expected, than the cause is irrelevant. Keep in mind that if the rust is that high, there are electrical wires and connections that may also be affected.

1711tab
Explorer
Explorer
Well the rust didn't come from Arizona... Can you get the previous owners name & number to find out the whole story??? When I bought my coach I called the original owner (I'm 2nd owner), the dealer balked and I said the deal was done, funny how quick he gave me the number (I verified that it was the owner by asking info on a repair invoice I found in the coach paper work)... While there was nothing wrong with my coach, I still wan't to talk to the owner...

Tim

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
One more thing to consider.......CARFAX, get the history of the unit...

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
sitting in salt water for 2 years......Run away....