cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with my inverter (SOLVED AND HOW THE STORY ENDED)

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
You can skip down to "NOW MY QUESTION" if you don't want to mess with reading how this came about. It's kinda long and but if you have comment on it, I'd appreciate it.

I'm on my maiden voyage with our new to us M/H. We've had a M/H for years but this is quite an upgrade from our old Allegro Bus. We're in a Monaco Windsor. We just traveled about a 100 miles to a State Park to check everything out.

Here's how the trip went and problems we've encountered. We got about 50 miles from home and the generator died. It's the Onan quite diesel 7500. I've ran this genset 3 or 4 times since we bought it in April. I let it exercise for a couple of hours. It's super quite and purrs like a kitten. I actually didn't know I lost power until it started getting warmer inside. Anyway, I pulled to the side of the road restarted the genset. It cranked up OK and the A/C came back on. It died again within 30 seconds. I was thinking maybe a low oil shutdown. We only had about 30 more minutes of driving so we just used the dash air and it was plenty cool enough. It was late when we got to the campground so I didn't mess with it at the time. This morning I checked the oil and coolant and they are full. I cranked it back up and it ran for about a minute and died again. The start panel gave me 3 blinks which is "shutdown due to some other abnormal condition". The secondary code was 36 which is "Check fuel level and check air filter". I pulled the air filter and it is new. I have over 1/2 tank of diesel (according to the gauge). I dipped the tank and it shows about the same. OK, maybe the pick-up tube is not far enough down inside and the genset only works on the top half of the tank.

Now for a couple of other problems that occurred. After the genset died, the refrigerator tried to switch to propane. It didn't light and showed a fault code of "Sr", which is a fault in the refrigerator controls. That was while we were still driving. After we got to the campground, I plugged in and switched to A/C and it starts working again. This morning I switch to LP and the burner does not light with a fault code of "no FL" which is "burner did not light". I opened the panel and there is no flame and no clicking (from the automatic spark igniter). I'm switched back to A/C now and it's working. I'll clean it and find the problem with the propane when I get back home in a few days.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION:

I've got a Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter/charger. I've not had an inverter before. The only thing I understand about it is that it takes charge from my batteries and converts it to 120 volt A/C. Why didn't my refrigerator continue working from the inverter? Am I supposed to set something to make it run from the inverter? How can I make the fridge run from the inverter on my trip home IF there is something else wrong with the genset (if it doesn't work after filling the tank)?

Remember, I know nothing about the inverter so please be simple. The display panel says: Invert - Enabled : AC Charge - Enabled : System Mode - Operating : Cascading - Enabled

Sorry for being so long but I thought you might need the background info.

Thanks for any help.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
15 REPLIES 15

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, 2/3 is not correct but it should be adjusted to stop running when you have about 1/4 of a tank left.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I made it home fine. The pick-up tube in the diesel tank is not far enough down in there. The generator dies at about 2/3 full tank of diesel. I fueled up just outside the campground, cranked up the genset and let it run about 10 minutes before turning on the air. I drove all the way home without a hiccup.

I did switch my refrigerator over to the inverter before I left the campground. I left it on invert until I got home then switched the fridge plug back to the regular a/c outlet. Thanks Doug for your suggestion and comments.

All and all, we had a great maiden voyage. Problem one, is to find out why the fridge burner is not lighting. Hopefully it's just dirty or something else minor. The other thing is to see about lowering the genset pick-up tube into the diesel tank. I should not have to stop after only using 1/3 tank diesel (2/3 full).

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Tinstar wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Monaco did not connect the refer to the Inverter. They DID connect the Inverter to the refer Icemaker. So, if you want the refer to run off Inverter, access the outside access door and you will see 2 -120 volt receptacles. Usually, Monaco labeled each Receptacle. INV on one. Use the INV and plug your refer cord into that. You may have to use a 1 to 3 plug in adapter as some of those receptacles do not have 2 plug ins. Doug

Norcold 1200 model is what you should have. Monaco optioned Norcold refers with 2 power cords to run the Icemaker seperately from the refer for the Inverter

There are two plugs in the access panel. The fridge is plugged into one (top outlet) and the ice maker is plugged into the outlet which is mounted 3 inches or so below the other. I assume Monaco wired the ice maker like you said and it is running from the inverter.

If the genset doesn't work when I leave Sunday and since my engine will be running and charging and I have about 400 watts of solar, do you think it would be OK to run the fridge from the inverter. It would be for about a two hour trip. If not I'll eat and drink everything in there. :E

Well, Since we sold and I serviced Monaco's from 1997 until 2008/9 when they went under, You can BET that the 120 is wired like I stated. Now, for what they "draw" on 120. A 1200 will pull about 400 watts when on 120. Since you probably have at a minimum 2000 watt Inverter, there is no reason NOT to run on 120 in transit. The Chassis Alternator has more than enough power to supply the 12 volt DC amps to run a 400 watt appliance. They are DESIGNED to run appliances like refers when in transit. Doug

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
You can skip down to "NOW MY QUESTION" if you don't want to mess with reading how this came about. It's kinda long and but if you have comment on it, I'd appreciate it.

I'm on my maiden voyage with our new to us M/H. We've had a M/H for years but this is quite an upgrade from our old Allegro Bus. We're in a Monaco Windsor. We just traveled about a 100 miles to a State Park to check everything out.

Here's how the trip went and problems we've encountered. We got about 50 miles from home and the generator died. It's the Onan quite diesel 7500. I've ran this genset 3 or 4 times since we bought it in April. I let it exercise for a couple of hours. It's super quite and purrs like a kitten. I actually didn't know I lost power until it started getting warmer inside. Anyway, I pulled to the side of the road restarted the genset. It cranked up OK and the A/C came back on. It died again within 30 seconds. I was thinking maybe a low oil shutdown. We only had about 30 more minutes of driving so we just used the dash air and it was plenty cool enough. It was late when we got to the campground so I didn't mess with it at the time. This morning I checked the oil and coolant and they are full. I cranked it back up and it ran for about a minute and died again. The start panel gave me 3 blinks which is "shutdown due to some other abnormal condition". The secondary code was 36 which is "Check fuel level and check air filter". I pulled the air filter and it is new. I have over 1/2 tank of diesel (according to the gauge). I dipped the tank and it shows about the same. OK, maybe the pick-up tube is not far enough down inside and the genset only works on the top half of the tank.
Mine did this same thing and it turned out to be a pin on a plug inside the generator was loose. They had to remove the genny to find it.

Now for a couple of other problems that occurred. After the genset died, the refrigerator tried to switch to propane. It didn't light and showed a fault code of "Sr", which is a fault in the refrigerator controls. That was while we were still driving. After we got to the campground, I plugged in and switched to A/C and it starts working again. This morning I switch to LP and the burner does not light with a fault code of "no FL" which is "burner did not light". I opened the panel and there is no flame and no clicking (from the automatic spark igniter). I'm switched back to A/C now and it's working. I'll clean it and find the problem with the propane when I get back home in a few days.
Also had this issue. never used it on propane for 2 years. When I treid it would not work giving same indications you mention. Turned out that it just took many many tries for propane to work its way up the gas line to the fridge. Hope your problem is this easy.
NOW FOR MY QUESTION:

I've got a Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter/charger. I've not had an inverter before. The only thing I understand about it is that it takes charge from my batteries and converts it to 120 volt A/C. Why didn't my refrigerator continue working from the inverter? Am I supposed to set something to make it run from the inverter? How can I make the fridge run from the inverter on my trip home IF there is something else wrong with the genset (if it doesn't work after filling the tank)?

Remember, I know nothing about the inverter so please be simple. The display panel says: Invert - Enabled : AC Charge - Enabled : System Mode - Operating : Cascading - Enabled

Sorry for being so long but I thought you might need the background info.
I have two outlets at the back of the fridge accessed from outside. One for the icemaker is on the inverter circuit. The other for the fridge is not. The reason is that the fridge pulls a lot of current from your batteries. That is why it is suppose to work on gas. I plugged mine into the icemaker outlet so while on the road the fridge will work on electric. Just remember that if boondocking because it will run your batteries down quicker. Just make sure inverter is on.

Thanks for any help.

I answered above in bold (I hope.) Hope it helps.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Your coach will produce enough 12 volt power while driving down the road to keep your batteires charged and the inverter running.

Thanks Don, I was really worried about having to eat all that food and I might do a little weaving on the road after drinking everything that's cold in there.:B

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Tinstar".....As stated, your coach was not set up to have the refer run off the inverter. In those days, they just expected the refer to kick over to propane when power wasn't present. New coaches run entirely off the inverter when going down the road. You'll be fine to remove the ice maker plug from the outlet and plug in the refer into that outlet. I would lift the bar on the ice maker so doesn't try and make ice.

Your coach will produce enough 12 volt power while driving down the road to keep your batteires charged and the inverter running.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Does the fridge igniter give spark? Can you tell if fridge is getting propane?
Sometimes mine takes a few tries. If no spark try disconnect-reconnect any wire connections with a wiggle to be sure they are making connection.

Otherwise you need to run an extension cord from the fridge power cord to an outlet with inverter power. Or rewire your panel to provide power to the fridge outlet. About 350 watts so it will run the battery down soon with out a power source. I would be inclined to just run the generator.

No spark clicking and I can't smell any propane. I've got 65 gallons of propane and my burners inside are good.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Does anything else work on the inverter? "New to us" coaches often come with dead batteries as standard equipment.

Sorry but I have no idea 2oldman. How do I find out? I'm guessing that I would unplug from shore-power, then try every outlet and see if it's got 120 volt power. Yes = inverter power No= no inverter power.

If that's it, it will be for a project for when I get home.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Monaco did not connect the refer to the Inverter. They DID connect the Inverter to the refer Icemaker. So, if you want the refer to run off Inverter, access the outside access door and you will see 2 -120 volt receptacles. Usually, Monaco labeled each Receptacle. INV on one. Use the INV and plug your refer cord into that. You may have to use a 1 to 3 plug in adapter as some of those receptacles do not have 2 plug ins. Doug

Norcold 1200 model is what you should have. Monaco optioned Norcold refers with 2 power cords to run the Icemaker seperately from the refer for the Inverter

There are two plugs in the access panel. The fridge is plugged into one (top outlet) and the ice maker is plugged into the outlet which is mounted 3 inches or so below the other. I assume Monaco wired the ice maker like you said and it is running from the inverter.

If the genset doesn't work when I leave Sunday and since my engine will be running and charging and I have about 400 watts of solar, do you think it would be OK to run the fridge from the inverter. It would be for about a two hour trip. If not I'll eat and drink everything in there. :E

JFNM
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Tinstar, most coaches are not wired to power the refrigerator from the inverter as the load on the batteries would be very high.

Couple other things. I am told (not an expert) that having a very high load items operating when the generator is started/shut-down is very hard on the generator electronics. Obviously you can't help it when it shuts itself down.

Occasionally this 'shuts down after 5 minutes' issue is an oil problem (too little) or overheating. The latter may be due to a faulty temp sensor. Your generator is likely giving you a fault code when it shuts down via the light "in" the on/off switch.
JD - Full timer out west
1998 MCI 102-EL3 Revolution | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 1.7kW Solar - 10kWh Lithium
My Adventures

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Does the fridge igniter give spark? Can you tell if fridge is getting propane?
Sometimes mine takes a few tries. If no spark try disconnect-reconnect any wire connections with a wiggle to be sure they are making connection.

Otherwise you need to run an extension cord from the fridge power cord to an outlet with inverter power. Or rewire your panel to provide power to the fridge outlet. About 350 watts so it will run the battery down soon with out a power source. I would be inclined to just run the generator.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anything else work on the inverter? "New to us" coaches often come with dead batteries as standard equipment.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My inverter does not power my refer either. It runs on Shore, Gen or Propane.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad