cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hot water heater won't fire

9ers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Atwood 6 gallon direct ignition water heater. I can't get it to ignite it doesn't try to fire.Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks John
Thanks John
8 REPLIES 8

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
You do know you aren't supposed to heat hot water.
2013 ACE 29.2

filadelfia
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fuse that is located under the relief valve. If it is blown replace then restore the air cushion in the water heater.

Good Luck Don

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
clean the connectors. That happens a couple times a year. Avoid multiple failed restarts as the propane will accumulate and when you do get an ignition it will go bang upsetting your neighbor

pops

sososixmpg
Explorer
Explorer
I had same problem. Change the ignighter. The red wire on the Atwood does two things. One... it sends power from the board and two... it sends a signal back to the thermocouple to continue the burn. I paid about $43.00 for my replacement and it works great!!!! Good luck

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Happens all the time on my 15 year old Atwood. Open the external panel and disconnect the white connector to the PC board.

Plug it back in and it will likely fire right up....it is just oxidation on the contacts that is likely causing the issue.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
Bryant RV has a bunch of service manuals for refrigerators, furnaces, and if you scroll down water heaters.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good 12V DC power needed...check for 12V to ON/OFF switch and then to module
Bad ground connection(s)....clean/tighten
Bad connections on module board...pull connector and clean contacts with eraser
Blown fuse on module board
Thermal Cutout Bad (one time diode that is connected to normal t-stat...blows if there has been a back flame from burner tube)
Bad t-stats (normal or ECO)....connections dirty/loose/corroded or t-stats are open

And then of course.....bad module board

Need to get out a voltmeter and check for where 12V stops
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
clean the electrical connectors.