cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hot water

bsjones11
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I will turn on the water, a mix of hot and cold to get temp right. Then the water will pulse between hot and cold. First experienced it in the shower, then the bath sink, and then the kitchen. Most noticeable in the bathroom fixtures. Have an atwood gas/electric water heater. Using it in the electric mode. The water is plenty hot when it comes out. Just won't stay at temp selected. Keep pulsing from hot to cold, extreme change. Any thoughts???
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Showers not being turned off with knobs...just the button on handle allow hot/cold to mix in the faucet
Water heater 'Bypass' valve open/leaking thru allow hot/cold to mix

Water heater Hot out check valve clogging can cause hot water flow to fluctuate

Atwood XT Models with mixing valve...clogged mixing valve can cause hot/cold fluctuations

Water pump cycling on/off due to low demand/flow can cause it also
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bsjones11
Explorer
Explorer
never been winterized. Live in the south.

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
Have you recently de-winterized? Could leaving the HW heater bypass third valve for the cross pipe open account for this?
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I do with my Suburban HWH to get the deposits out is I stick my pressure washer nozzle in the abode rod port and blast them out. Works like a charm.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two simple things to try...

Clean out the aerators on the sinks as they may be clogged with calcium deposits, it isprobably time to change out your anode rod in the water heater. Be sure to flush the tank thoroughly, I just stick a hose in the opening and let it blast away until the water runs clear.

Another possibility is if you have an outdoor shower check to see if the hot and cold faucets are shut tight. If they are ae open even a little they are mixing water into your system and could account for what you are seeing. Good luck.

:C

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar issue and found that I had a huge amount of calcium in the tank. I believe the incoming water was stirring up the calcium and momentarily blocking the outgoing hot water. I never did figure it out for sure but it did stop after emptying and cleaning everything out.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?