cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House Battery

jubileeeducatio
Explorer
Explorer
If I only use my house battery to start generator and occasionally use interior lights, would a 12 volt deep cell battery be a good choice over a 2 6 volt deep cell battery. I almost always plug in when using heat.
Harry & Pat
18 REPLIES 18

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
????? wrote:
My old 12v batteries had 220 amp hours each.

My current 4 golf cart 6v batteries have 110 amp hours each.

It seems two golf cart batteries equal one 12v 8D battery.

In all cases the following refers to the C/20hour rating, Some companies rate their batteries differently so as to inflate the capacity, Wal*mart for example uses the C/1amp which gives a smaller battery over 100 amp hours.. at 1 amp. Due to an effect I can never spell (Starts with P, can never even remember the whole name less I've seen it recently,, Purket or plunket or something like that)

Your GC-2 Six volt were 220 amp hours each, when you put batteries in series you add VOLTAGE, not amp hours.

Your 12 volt.. Well, note the C-20

Group 24, about 75 amp horus each
Group 27 Round 95
Group 29 105
Group 31 140

I know of no 12 volt that is 230 amp hours but 4D and 8D bracket it

Some Ive seen are in teh 500-1000 amp hour range but, not only did they use a fork lift to set one on the trailer I used to tow it to the Field Day site we used it at...... Another of the same make and model POWERED the fork lift they used.

So your Two Six volt are equal to an 8D is, essentially correct (They are within 10%)

HOWEVER.. Do you want to wrangle an 8D.. I have the strength to do it but that's about max when I'm feeling good.. Sixes are easy for me, and I'm not sure I could wrestle an 8D in and out of where they stuck the sixes on this rig... (In fact fairly sure I could not) also how much did that 8D cost compared to a pair of sixes?

That is why six volt pairs are so popular

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:

In all cases the following refers to the C/20hour rating, Some companies rate their batteries differently so as to inflate the capacity, Wal*mart for example uses the C/1amp which gives a smaller battery over 100 amp hours.. at 1 amp. Due to an effect I can never spell (Starts with P, can never even remember the whole name less I've seen it recently,, Purket or plunket or something like that)

Your GC-2 Six volt were 220 amp hours each, when you put batteries in series you add VOLTAGE, not amp hours.

Your 12 volt.. Well, note the C-20

Group 24, about 75 amp horus each
Group 27 Round 95
Group 29 105
Group 31 140

I know of no 12 volt that is 230 amp hours but 4D and 8D bracket it

Some Ive seen are in teh 500-1000 amp hour range but, not only did they use a fork lift to set one on the trailer I used to tow it to the Field Day site we used it at...... Another of the same make and model POWERED the fork lift they used.

So your Two Six volt are equal to an 8D is, essentially correct (They are within 10%)

HOWEVER.. Do you want to wrangle an 8D.. I have the strength to do it but that's about max when I'm feeling good.. Sixes are easy for me, and I'm not sure I could wrestle an 8D in and out of where they stuck the sixes on this rig... (In fact fairly sure I could not) also how much did that 8D cost compared to a pair of sixes?

That is why six volt pairs are so popular
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LOG wrote:
There are large 12 volt batteries that would have more amp hour capacity but they will probably not fit in the battery box that was designed for two 6 volt batteries.

I thought that most battery compartments were built/designed for two 12 volt batteries. some 6 volters are too tall for some of these boxes.
bumpy

LOG
Explorer
Explorer
Most 12 volt batteries are not true deep cycle batteries. Most 6 volt golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries. For house batteries, it is better to have deep cycle batteries. It is true that if one of the 6 volt batteries goes bad, the pair will no longer function as a 12 volt battery. Also, in most cases, two 6 volt batteries combined to make one 12 volt battery will have considerably more amp hour capacity than one 12 volt battery. And, unless the 12 volt batteries are very large, two 6 volt batteries will have more amp hour capacity than even two 12 volt batteries. There are large 12 volt batteries that would have more amp hour capacity but they will probably not fit in the battery box that was designed for two 6 volt batteries.
LOG
2005 Chinook Glacier

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
1ozark wrote:
I would stay with 2 six volt batteries if the manufacture sold the unit that way. I would HIGHLY recommend the Trojan 6 volt Deep cycle maintenance free golf cart batteries.
But if one of those 6 volt batteries shorts out or dies, then you only have one six volt battery to run your 12 volt system!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

1ozark
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay with 2 six volt batteries if the manufacture sold the unit that way. I would HIGHLY recommend the Trojan 6 volt Deep cycle maintenance free golf cart batteries.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
deandec wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
why do people always compare one 12 volt battery to 2 6 volt ones? a more proper comparison would be 2 of each.
bumpy

I dont think std deep cycle 12 volts have 220 amp hours..! more like less than 100 per battery of course 12 v 8d batteries are much higher, larger in size and expen$ive!! several hundred bucks, but i think thats not what the op wants.I assume he wants a group 24 or 27 As others have said it will work yes .. but just.
Bill

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I normally park for the night with power.. BUT.. What happens if the power company suffers overload? Happened to a bunch of friends of mine at the north end of the lake I'm currently at the south end of. May have happened in the other park I'll be at next week (Forgot to ask). In that case you have only batteries and generator. Right now I'm running on 3 G-29's but I'll replace my GC-2's soon.

And sometimes I'm on the road and getting tired and ... Well no power near so I wally-dock or Flying-j Dock or ____ dock, and that does not charge the batteries.

However... I like having power handy.. For one thing... I'm a radio operator (Ham) and well,,, We have been known to go places where there was need. And yes I've done that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
deandec wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
why do people always compare one 12 volt battery to 2 6 volt ones? a more proper comparison would be 2 of each.
bumpy

If you are going to buy and install two 6 volt batteries that should be compared to two 12 volt batteries. comparing costs/weight/etc.
bumpy

You can compare anything you want. The OP was wondering if one 12v would work for him. You can compare the cost, capacity and life span of one 12v battery to 2 6v batteries all day.

Right you are. The OP asked a simple question, would this work. My answer was yes but with less capacity. The OP didn't ask for a detailed comparison. but when I posted my simple reply I knew the "experts" would offer up a wide range of answers. Oh well.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
deandec wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

If you are going to buy and install two 6 volt batteries that should be compared to two 12 volt batteries. comparing costs/weight/etc.
bumpy

You can compare anything you want. The OP was wondering if one 12v would work for him. You can compare the cost, capacity and life span of one 12v battery to 2 6v batteries all day.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

bumpy

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
jubileeeducation wrote:
If I only use my house battery to start generator and occasionally use interior lights, would a 12 volt deep cell battery be a good choice over a 2 6 volt deep cell battery. I almost always plug in when using heat.

Sure, monetarily speaking.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy