Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House Power While Driving? Best option

mjhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I'm Mike H from the now humid Niagara Region and I just bought an immaculate Fleetwood Tioga Montara (BunkHouse). So much money has been spent refreshing this thing by the last 2 owners that I'm embarassed by what I paid.

Anyhow I'm just all odds and ends sorted for it's firt trip and had a question about running some power while driving. Essentially what I'd like to be able to do is let my boys watch movies while driving so I need to power a small flatscreen and dvd/xbox while driving. There is no genset as it died and was removed (not sure what I will do down the road there). Today I was running it and noticed the plugs don't provide power when it's not hooked up to shore power. Is this normal?

Will I need to install an inverter to run these items and power it from the house battery (which is in the engine bay) or should I be getting some current to the outlets when the unit is running?

Thanks for your help here...
Mike
9 REPLIES 9

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
To find out if your alternator is charging your house battery measure the house battery voltage. It should be 12.6v or so with the engine off and increase, maybe to as much as 14v with the engine running.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
House battery may or may not charge from alternator, 12v circuits in house may or may not be powered from alternator. Different configurations have been used by different brands and models of C motorhomes over the years.

If you don't want to fix then genset, then you need to tie a large enough inverter into your 12V system to power what it is you want to power (sizes range fro less than 100 watts to more tha 4 kw) then make sure that inverter gets alternator power in addition to house battery power, and that the alternator has the capacity for the load, not so much a problem at 100w (drawing 10 amps) but a real issue if looking for 4kw which might need 400 amps into the inverter.

I rely on the genset to power the whole house, for what you want to do. If people are back there to watch TV they also need the A/C running to avoid heat related health problems, because my C will quickly get to more than 100 F exposed to southwestern southern summer sunshine
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
mjhouse wrote:
So does my house batt. get charged from the alternator too?

Yes, your alternator should be connected to your house battery when the ignition is on. There are several methods used for accomplishing this.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

mjhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. No boondocking right now, just parks and campgrounds. I might look into some solar options down the road, but for now I'll be relying on shore power.

I'm hoping some of the books I've bought and these forums help get me up to speed. This C Class is a step up from our pop-up trailer and will require me to learn a hell of a lot.

So does my house batt. get charged from the alternator too?

I'll look into wiring an inverter after I finish shelling out for the all the other "needs" which are lengthy.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shore power....120V AC power from plugging power cord in or from a generator

Converter.....changes 120V AC input power to 12V DC power for DC System and charging batteries

Inverter......changes DC input from batteries to 120V AC

RV AC & DC System...converter only

RV AC & DC System.....converter & inverter

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what you need... make them work for their power.
http://www.econvergence.net/The-Pedal-A-Watt-Bicycle-Generator-Stand-s/1820.htm

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
A 300 or 400 watt inverter will work to do that. Be aware though, that much power use while driving is also reducing the ability for the house battery to get fully charged.

If you are boondocking when you stop and don't have a generator your batteries only get charged when you drive. On the other hand, if you are plugged into shore power at your campsites, you will be just fine.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Yes. No.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums.

You will need to add an inverter. There are several ways to do so, and many threads about it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.