cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I have hot water?

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new to me, 2010 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. It comes with an on-demand tankless water heater. It has been parked the past week, hooked up to a 30 amp service. I have had both the electrical and propane switches to the water heater turned off. Just for the heck of it I turned on the hot water at a faucet and got...hot water. How does that work?
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
23 REPLIES 23

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. TRUE Tankless RV water heaters CANNOT utilize 120 volts to give continuous HOT water. Even HOME 240 volt systems must be designed for AC operation and will NOT function as well as LP or Natural Gas Tankless Water Heaters.
2. Even the LARGE Aqua hot with 2- 120 elements, will only give about 4 gallons of hot water before the 120 elements cannot keep up with the demand--Aqua hot states to utilize the Diesel burner for continous
3. Most RV TANKLESS water Heaters are LP powered or Diesel powered(Aqua Hot)
4. Lets say the OP came back after a week and had Hot water. He needs to then run the Hot water and see HOW long/much hot water he had. I doubt more than a gallon if his switches were indeed turned off. But, if he does have a 120 system also, then that would account for the hot water he had but just not much hot water. Doug

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mr. Bob, I would think that if you want it truly off, you need to flip the breakers for it. I assume that when you say 'switches' that you are just talking about the 'on/off' switches.

I have a tankless water heater for our shower, I have to turn the breaker off for it not to heat. We also have an electric hot water tank that us sufficient for us if I need to watch electric power. The 'tankless' will pull some amps.

Safe travels,
MM.
I had had that thought, in fact that is how I had solved it so far. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I was supposed to be doing.

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
It has a coil system that heats the water as it flows past the heat source,
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
By that year Dutch star should have a standard oasis diesel hydronic heat shouldn’t it ? I guess you could call it tankless but not boiler-less. Don’t have a oasis but lots of info ( google) if you have that. My Aqua hot heats by the engine , diesel or electric and because it’s well insulated keeps “warm” water for hours. It’s not tankless as mine has a 15 gallon boiler the coiled hot water line runs through (around in my case)
No it is not an Oasis or Aqua-hot system. It is a true tankless water heater. I'll be back to it sometime tomorrow and I will check on the brand name and pass it on to you.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
bobkatmsu wrote:
I have a new to me, 2010 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. It comes with an on-demand tankless water heater. It has been parked the past week, hooked up to a 30 amp service. I have had both the electrical and propane switches to the water heater turned off. Just for the heck of it I turned on the hot water at a faucet and got...hot water. How does that work?

You answered your own question. Obviously the "on-demand" system is still on and responding to your demands.

Chum lee

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
By that year Dutch star should have a standard oasis diesel hydronic heat shouldn’t it ? I guess you could call it tankless but not boiler-less. Don’t have a oasis but lots of info ( google) if you have that. My Aqua hot heats by the engine , diesel or electric and because it’s well insulated keeps “warm” water for hours. It’s not tankless as mine has a 15 gallon boiler the coiled hot water line runs through (around in my case)
Bill

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. You need to post the BRAND and model number of the Heater. Newmar used Oasis for LP and 120 heating
2. Did you start the chassis engine and run it at anytime before you checked the faucet? Oasis has a engine heat option and that will heat the tank if the engine has run long enough to get to operating temp. Doug

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Bob, I would think that if you want it truly off, you need to flip the breakers for it. I assume that when you say 'switches' that you are just talking about the 'on/off' switches.

I have a tankless water heater for our shower, I have to turn the breaker off for it not to heat. We also have an electric hot water tank that us sufficient for us if I need to watch electric power. The 'tankless' will pull some amps.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have an Aquahot system? Could be from that
Where we are now