cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you keep window tint to stay up?

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Some time back I did my own window tinting with the repositionable sheets. It's working well with the exception of not staying up for any long periods of time. What do you do to keep the dark covering clinging to the window? THANKS!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
5 REPLIES 5

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Window tinting by professionals is relatively inexpensive nowadays. I just purchased a Ford Focus 4 door hatchback (5 doors total) and had the windows tinted. They used the ceramic based tint (best line they carry). Normal price was $300 and they did it for $200. Has a lifetime warranty...
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some of this at CW while traveling last summer. Did help but it is really a temporary fix. Went down to the tint shop had the cab done for around $50 which included a 8inch strip across the front windshield. Already had tinted windows in coach. All the family veh's are done and its kinda light because I cant see out of the dark stuff at night. Kids all have limo black with darker on rear windows. Cheap enough investment to have done as I think the removeable costs about the same overall. You can install the stuff yourself, but with a pro install most offer lifetime ressults. At least out here they do.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Is the glass smooth or a textured finish?

I have that problem on my entry door.
It is frosted and has a texture to the glass.
Because the glass is not smooth it does not stay well.

The same product on a very smooth piece of regular glass
has been on for several years without a problem.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the removal limo tint from Walmart because I was not sure if I would like tinted windows and could take it off if I did not.

That was over 5 years ago and it is STILL in position. AND looks like professional tinting.

They key is to use LOTS AND LOTS of soapy water when you put it on and SQUEEGEE it off getting each and every bubble out.

I also bought the little kit they sell at Walmart that albeit it was meant for the permanent film that contained a specially molded hard squeegee. Threw out the chemicals that came with the kit and just used the special squeegee.

Using that special hard tint squeege is IMHO what that made all the difference why mine is still up and has not moved going on 6 years now.

I first practiced on my toad windows. What a difference! Did it in a CG one day and LOL LOL after I was done other campers thought I was a professional installer and asked them to theirs!!!:B

Adding the tint really dropped the temps inside the toad on those hot summer Florida days. And made a BIG difference in the MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ronfisherman
I think the words "repositionable sheets" may be your problem. I have film on my RV and car. Both are sticking very well.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD