cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

registering class A in another state

reboo349
Explorer
Explorer
what are the advantages of registering in another state and how do you go about it, looking at buying a new class A
19 REPLIES 19

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
reboo349 wrote:
I'm retired and spend a lot of time on the road, looking at N.C. have kin people there

Saving money in one area can be offset by the cost in other areas. Since you are retired, do you realize that in GA at age 62, $36K of income is GA income tax exempt/person. At age 65 it increases to $65K/person.
There are a lot of variables to consider... good luck.

At one time I was looking at other states to retire...then Ga. a few years back realized a lot of their retirees were heading to Florida, Tennessee, and Texas with no state income tax.
for me at 68 there is no Ga. income tax,(as stated above) and with the new Title Tax law that went into effect last year....I'm good where I am.....
And I don't have to look over my shoulder!!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
reboo349 wrote:
I'm retired and spend a lot of time on the road, looking at N.C. have kin people there

Saving money in one area can be offset by the cost in other areas. Since you are retired, do you realize that in GA at age 62, $36K of income is GA income tax exempt/person. At age 65 it increases to $65K/person.
There are a lot of variables to consider... good luck.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Research each state you are thinking of using completely. Mower's comment about CA is partially correct. To qualify for the sales tax exemption on the RV you must prove constant use for the required period after purchase. You can not buy it, store it and expect them to give you the exemption. They will not. I can not say exactly what this time frame is because it has bounced around from 90 days to one year and back over the last five years. North Carolina has personal property tax. Almost all states are looking closely at RVs titled in Montana. In CA your drivers license better not be from CA if your registration is in another state. There are many pitfalls and if you miss dotting one i or crossing one t any state will dock you for penalties and interest plus the original sales tax owed and will not credit you any sales tax paid at time of purchase.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
mowermech wrote:
hanko wrote:
why not just do things the right way, and not wory about it.

EXACTLY!!
KNOW the law
COMPLY with the law
DOCUMENT your compliance with the law

THAT is the RIGHT way to go about ANY activity!

That is A right way. Not everyone agrees that it is THE right way.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I was shopping for RV storage facilities ( n. CA) and was surprised at the number of out of state plates I saw on motorhomes. The state pays a bounty- surprised they haven't beeb turned in.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
Georgia has done away with ad valorem tax and a one time Title Tax
which is now 7% as of now..
so you pay the one time stiff 7% and after that ( no sales tax) the tag for me on a 2014 Tioga Ranger 25G is about 15 dollars..
the old way, even on my 2004 Titan pickup is still 100.00 even on a 10 year old truck...
I like the new Title tag law...the only downside is if you trade cars every couple of years it can get very expensive.

one lady did flip out in the tag office buying her relative's car.

even if you buy your cousin's car you still must pay the 7% to get title in your name

I like to keep a vehicle for a long time...

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:

EXACTLY!!
KNOW the law
COMPLY with the law
DOCUMENT your compliance with the law

THAT is the RIGHT way to go about ANY activity!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

I own homes in 3 states and choose to register ALL my vehicles in the one that serves me best. Being retired working is not an issue although when I worked all over the world I claimed that same address. I don't spend most of my time at that address but I vote, register my vehicles, pay taxes, have my drivers license, and claim residence there. Its not practical to register your RV in Maine in the summer then transfer to FL in the winter then back in the summer----you would go broke keeping up with the residence requirements right or wrong.

NC personal property tax is a killer on any motor vehicle as is yearly inspection. I actually keep a car there that I have paid more in taxes on than it cost originally.

reboo349
Explorer
Explorer

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Nv has sales tax

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In the past it was the cost of the tag each year that added up. The laws in GA have changed so after paying a 6.7% sales/use tax the tag is only $20/year. Unfortunately buying a used motor vehicle from an individual is not exempt from paying sales tax any more BUT buying a trailer is.
Can you get away with a MH with NH tag that spends most of it's time in GA... if stored outside, not likely and if stored inside, maybe.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
reboo349 wrote:
what are the advantages of registering in another state and how do you go about it, looking at buying a new class A

There is a song from around 1970... Skip a rope. And the line that applies is:

Cheatin' on your taxes don't it feel cool, what's that you said about the golden rule.

The advantage is this, Some states have no sales tax, so if you buy there you save % on the cost of your motor home up front, Some your registration may be thousands of dollars each year (Selected counties in NV for example, from another thread somewhere) others, Well I pay less than 400 in Michigan, and some pay way less than that.

Some states insurance is less expensive.

What is the DISADVANTAGE: See that line from the song about cheating on your taxes.

When the state in which you reside decides you have been cheating them out of their lawful tax income,,, THEY Decide how much you owe, PLUS interest and penalty. And that can be far more than you saved. (Usually is in fact).

I know California and Colorado have gone after tax cheats, Michigan was looking into it, the other states I am not sure of save for Montana, which has not got that problem since they are one of the states where folks like to incorporate for tax savings.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
reboo349 wrote:
answer to your question

Do you still have a job in GA? If so, you would be illegal to register in any other state.

You didn't give enough info to make an intelligent